Thread: RTM notes

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, it's out there (& here) but I am not an expert, to put it mildly. There must be better sources than me, and I'm looking for them myself.

One item that did hit home and that might interest readers is that while there is indeed a 64-bit version of Office 2010, it's rather like the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer: forget it in the short run. If you are going to be an early adopter, install 32-bit Office.

As for me,I performed an entire whole new install around it on the spur of the moment, and I am preoccupied with setting up the silly computer I have it installed upon. (It wasn't as crazy as it sounds, but it sure is time-consuming.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a TechNet subscription and MS even recommends using the 32 bit version of Office 2010 on the download site. I installed the 32 bit and it's running fine. Seems extremely stable. and I like the new ribbon in Outlook.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by apapkin View Post
    MS even recommends using the 32 bit version of Office 2010 on the download site.
    I confess: that was my source too, but I didn't provide attribution. The whole thing installed very smoothly and from what I have been able to do with it, which admittedly is almost nothing, it appears to be highly refined. The transitions are very smooth.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The reason that Microsoft & almost everyone else is recommending 32-bit Office right now is that very, very few commercial Office add-ons and almost no local code or macros have been upgraded to run in a 64-bit environment.

I've installed the 64-bit version as I don't have any add-ons installed now and I'm the usual pioneer for things.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    The reason that Microsoft & almost everyone else is recommending 32-bit Office right now is that very, very few commercial Office add-ons and almost no local code or macros have been upgraded to run in a 64-bit environment.

I've installed the 64-bit version as I don't have any add-ons installed now and I'm the usual pioneer for things.

Joe
    Thanks for that information, Joe. Since most of my initial work is going to be in learning how to use it, I might find it better to have the 64-bit version like you (unsullied, as it were, by parties other than Microsoft). Add-ons tend to be invisible to many of us.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One of the reasons MS is suggesting the 32 bit as opposed to 64 bit is that the only benefit 64 bit has is for HUGE spreadsheets.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by apapkin View Post
    One of the reasons MS is suggesting the 32 bit as opposed to 64 bit is that the only benefit 64 bit has is for HUGE spreadsheets.
    Much may depend on which version you have, but I suspect that one very big advantage will be (or become) the matter of security. I have both 64-bit and 32-bit running on different computers at present, and I haven't had much chance to use the 64-bit (because the drive is nearly full and I'm trying to fix that), but to this point I feel very comfortable with the 32-bit.

The one thing that would be welcome here is links, as they accumulate, to useful sources of information on Office 2010.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I don’t know the programming difference between 32-bit and 64-bit applications like Office, but in the 2 – 4 – 8 – 16 – 32 – 64 progression we have a substantial increase in computing power.

One man’s bloat is another man’s smarts, and on looking back I would say that programs are much smarter now than they once were. This is not necessarily related to something like 64-bit, but with 64 I think you will have more computing power to write applications around. The relatively recent explosion in global coverage with languages is one that recognizes the doh-re-mi, even as it drives those of us who are unilingual bats in trying to get a grip on the mysteries of our software, while forcing us to realize that it is helping others who are unilingual but in a different language. Lost in the mystery may be the fact that prominent among the beneficiaries are English-speakers who do not communicate in US English. A user has only to set his or her usage(s) and most (but not all) spelling and grammar is taken care of without the kind of detailed personalization of the days of the Underground Guide(s), although plenty of that is still welcome.

I don’t know how much difference there is between the 2010 versions, but I think the capability is there for the 64-bit version to be a lot smarter than the 32-bit could ever be.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    As long as the question does not pertain specifically to the beta release, I suggest that future posts about Office 2010 go in the General Office forum or the specific product forum. Office 2010 has RTM'ed and has been released to MSDN, Technet, & volume licensing customers. It will be released to the general public June 15th.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I agree Joe, and since there is no support of the Beta version anymore, I've locked this thread. Please create any new threads about Office 2010 in the appropriate Office Suite forum.
    Wendell