Thanks
    I am needing to set up a Word document that will have several dozen points on the left side (ranging in size from a few words to two lines) and on the right side will be the name of the person addressing that point. What is the recommended way to set up this doc? I am thinking of using two columns, with the right side column being rather narrow. I have also thought about using a table. Or should it just be done using a tab stop?

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It definitely sounds like a table is what you need.

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll second that - a table is perfect for this task.

You may want to number each point, so make it a three column table with the first column just sufficiently wide to hold the numbers and then use Auto-numbering to fill the column.

Thanks
    The table worked out nicely. And the auto numbering tip, while not needed here, looks like it will be useful.

Thanks guys.

Vince

Thanks
    I've been working with this table, and now I need to have some numbering in certain sections within the table. I can't use a separate column with auto numbering as suggested above due to my format.

Is there any way to have the numbering continue automatically when I go to the next row? Tab or Enter do not do it. I thought maybe there is some key combination that may do it.

Right now the only ways I have found are to place the cursor in the cell and hit the Numbering button on the ribbon to make the number appear. Or select a group of rows and hit the Numbering button.

Thanks

Thanks
    Because automatic numbering brings along with it various list styles, you might instead consider using an {SEQ} field. This operates like a simple counter you insert into the cell, and then manually copy and paste to others, which increments from the previous value. (Select all and press F9 to update the fields.)

These pages may be useful: Field codes: Seq (Sequence) field - Word - Microsoft Office Online; SEQ Field Numbering on MS MVP Greg Maxey's site.