4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an existing Exchange 2003 server where 99% of my mailboxes are located still and a new Exchange 2010 server I add in March.

About a week ago I upgraded this user from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003. No problems reports. Then a little over 24 hours ago I moved her mailbox to the new Exchange 2010 server. She's the first maibox other than my own that I've moved to it.

As of last night she reports receiving some email with blank bodies. Not all, just some. The emails she identified are coming from a variety of addresses including aol and the military. From looking in her mailbox these emails are showing up as plain text format which I wouldn't think to be a problem.

Anyone recognize this? Is it the mailbox move that triggered it? What do I need to do to fix it?

-------------

I should also note that I am using Outlook 2007 and, as an administrator with full access rights, can view her mailbox from within my own mailbox. When she forwarded the emails to me they do indeed have blank bodies. The emails forwarded are in Rich Text format which is the default format we use for our email when sending, replying, etc. But when I look in her mailbox and pull up those emails they are in plain text format and I CAN see the body of the email. The email do not have attachments. All three emails were replies back to email she sent to them.
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I show we do have Rollup 1 (KB 976573) and Rollup 3 (KB 981401) but not Rollup 2. Does that matter? If it does, do I uninstall Rollup 3, install Rollup 2, then reinstall Rollup3? Or would it matter?
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't know if it matters if you skip a rollup. I never have. It appears from the description that the rollup 2 fixes are not related to what you are seeing. However, sometimes it is difficult to tell exactly what any one patch ends up fixing.

If you decide to install rollup 2 I recommend you uninstall rollup 3, install rollup 2, reinstall rollup 3.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you are using cached Exchange mode you can try closing Oultook and deleting the .OST file. It will get re-created the next time Outlook starts.

If you are using cached mode, what happens if you turn it off?

Can the e-mails be accessed successfully with OWA?

See possible 'scan RTF email body' bug - Wilders Security Forums. This mentions a problem with NOD32 on client PCs. Have you checked your A/V forum for issues with Exchange 2010?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After my last post the user forwarded another email to me that she said the body was blank. When she forwards these to me, they are blank when I open the forwarded email. However, if I go into her mailbox and open the message it has the body. So after she left I did a test. I opened the message in her inbox from my Outlook, I could see the body, and tried forwarding to herself. Then went to her computer to see what it looked like. The body was blank. Darn. Even if I forward from her own inbox to herself it's blank.

So then I went ahead and moved her mailbox from the new Exchange 2010 server to the old Exchange 2003 server. Once it was moved I went to her computer and could open and see all those emails she couldn't see before.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    If you are using cached Exchange mode you can try closing Oultook and deleting the .OST file. It will get re-created the next time Outlook starts.

If you are using cached mode, what happens if you turn it off?

Can the e-mails be accessed successfully with OWA?

See possible 'scan RTF email body' bug - Wilders Security Forums. This mentions a problem with NOD32 on client PCs. Have you checked your A/V forum for issues with Exchange 2010?

Joe
    We don't currently use cached mode, though we did in the past. We don't use OWA and I'm pretty sure I have it disabled. I'll check your link.

Something I noticed last night, all these emails are replies back to messages this user sent to them. I wonder if there might be something in that the messages were sent while the mailbox was on the old server and the replies came in after the mailbox was moved to the new server. Maybe there's something the old server did to the outbound messages that effects the returning replies on the new server.
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    We moved mailboxes from E2007 to E2010 and I have not heard any complaints like that. However, those two releases are much more similar than 2003 & 2010. I don't know enough about Exchange internals to even hazard a bad guess.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    Something I noticed last night, all these emails are replies back to messages this user sent to them. I wonder if there might be something in that the messages were sent while the mailbox was on the old server and the replies came in after the mailbox was moved to the new server. Maybe there's something the old server did to the outbound messages that effects the returning replies on the new server.
    Could it be a missing Outlook Form?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Could it be a missing Outlook Form?
    I don't know what that form would be. These are simply email she's sent that are being replied to.
    Daisy