Thanks
    How To Geek is showing a possible way to install XP Mode in Win 7 Home Premium, normally would need Pro or higher. Check it out.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like some neat features that emulate or even exceed the capabilities of a proper XPMode but, the main advantage of XPMode is that its included (as a download) with Win7 Pro or above, and this example is using a retail copy of XP.

So 50/50, emulation of XPMode yes, actual installation of a free version of XPMode in Win7HP no.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    Looks like some neat features that emulate or even exceed the capabilities of a proper XPMode but, the main advantage of XPMode is that its included (as a download) with Win7 Pro or above, and this example is using a retail copy of XP.

So 50/50, emulation of XPMode yes, actual installation of a free version of XPMode in Win7HP no.
    That's true, but it does give an option to have something similar even in Win 7 HP. This allows an XP Mode simulation from with in windows without having to set up a dual boot environment. Plus remember if your hardware does not support XP Mode emulation, then the XP Mode download must be accompanied by VM Ware app as well even on Win 7 Pro and higher.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Plus remember if your hardware does not support XP Mode emulation, then the XP Mode download must be accompanied by VM Ware app as well even on Win 7 Pro and higher.
    It is NOT true any more that your PC must support hardware virtualization. See Windows Virtual PC: FAQ for more information.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    It is NOT true any more that your PC must support hardware virtualization. See Windows Virtual PC: FAQ for more information.

Joe
    Yes Joe, that is what we said, that if your hardware does not support XP Mode then you must use VMWare as well as XP Mode.

edit: You can use MS Virtual PC instead of VMWare???
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes Joe, that is what we said, that if your hardware does not support XP Mode then you must use VMWare as well as XP Mode.
    If you are running Win7 Pro or higher XPmode will run regardless of whether or not your PC supports hardware vitrualization. You do NOT need VMware. Read the FAQ to which I linked. Also, see Microsoft removes hardware virtualization barrier to running XP Mode | All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com.

This was a big change by Microsoft announced March 18.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe,

I do not have hardware virtualization capabilities and have Win 7 Ultimate. When I go to MS it does show 3 diff. downloads. The Windows XP Mode, Windows Virtual PC, and Windows XP Mode Update. I believe the Windows Virtual PC is the MS equivalent of VMWare is it not???? I believe my system requires both the XP Mode and the Virtual PC in order for XP Mode to work. This is really what I have been talking about. The need for Xp Mode and a Virtual PC, I think??? This is all new to me so perhaps I am wrong, but I think not.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    I do not have hardware virtualization capabilities and have Win 7 Ultimate. When I go to MS it does show 3 diff. downloads. The Windows XP Mode, Windows Virtual PC, and Windows XP Mode Update. I believe the Windows Virtual PC is the MS equivalent of VMWare is it not???? I believe my system requires both the XP Mode and the Virtual PC in order for XP Mode to work. This is really what I have been talking about. The need for Xp Mode and a Virtual PC, I think??? This is all new to me so perhaps I am wrong, but I think not.
    You need all three downloads. You do need not just any virtual software but Virtual PC from that page to use XP mode and its integration features. You also need the XP mode update to enable it to run without hardware virtualization.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    You need all three downloads. You do need not just any virtual software but Virtual PC from that page to use XP mode and its integration features. You also need the XP mode update to enable it to run without hardware virtualization.

Joe

Thanks, I have never used this before and am looking at it to see if I have a need in my case. My original post was to let those that have Win 7 HP know they also have an option available to them to set up a virtual environment similar to XP Mode even though they do not have Pro or Ultimate editions. Some do not want a dual boot senario but have a need for an XP Mode and this is a possible option I ran across yesterday that I thought might help them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    I gets frustrating with Microsoft sometimes but XP mode is a benefit of paying more for the OS than a Home Premium user.

If someone uses VMware or Virtual Box they still have to supply a legal copy of XP.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm going to experiment...VMPlayer has a Import XPMode feature...What if I can import XPMode on my Win7 Pro system and transfer it to my Win7 Home system?? Theoretically, once the Virtual PC bond has been broken and its successfully imported into VMPlayer it should be good to go on any virtual-capable system, and again, using the article guidlines to emulate XPMode in VMPlayer, that would be a workaround for people with at least one copy of Win7 Pro or higher...if it works.

Thanks
    I'm going to experiment...VMPlayer has a Import XPMode feature...What if I can import XPMode on my Win7 Pro system and transfer it to my Win7 Home system?? Theoretically, once the Virtual PC bond has been broken and its successfully imported into VMPlayer it should be good to go on any virtual-capable system, and again, using the article guidlines to emulate XPMode in VMPlayer, that would be a workaround for people with at least one copy of Win7 Pro or higher...if it works.
    I'm thinking you may not have to go this route. According to the How To Geek article I added a link to in my first post, using VMWare and a valid copy of XP you can set upa XP Mode like environment in a Home Premium system without importing from your Pro version. I do have to admit I have not tried this as I do not have the need at this time. I am still considering if I want/need XP Mode on my Ultimate PC let alone my wife's HP PC.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm thinking you may not have to go this route. According to the How To Geek article I added a link to in my first post, using VMWare and a valid copy of XP you can set upa XP Mode like environment in a Home Premium system without importing from your Pro version.

True, but the major consideration is to get THE actual XPMode onto a home premium system.

Thanks
    True, but the major consideration is to get THE actual XPMode onto a home premium system.
    Yes, and I have not found yet where this is possible. I have to believe that at some point in time this will happen, especially when the outcry from all those HP users becomes loud enough, at that time MS may change their stance, who knows. This example is just a workaround at this point.

From my perspective, as I already stated, I do not really see the need in my home environment. Perhaps if I try to resurect a couple of the old S/W apps I have hanging around, but for now, I downloaded the 3 files but have saved them, not installed them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I successfully put a working copy of XP Mode on another system, it wasn't too hard, just a few modifications. I haven't had time to test it to see if its integrated well with the host system or still has some hidden vestiges of the other system (I could tell that USB devices were registered properly and the NIC was adjusted for as well, but the assigned RAM carried over), but it runs fine, shuts down fine, looks good so far...