New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gentlepersons--

It has been years since I have been productive, due to a neck fracture in an auto crash...I posted to this forum in the past, with excellent results. Thank God for the hive mind!

Anyway, I had an extensively customized Word productivity environment that worked well for me (macros, toolbars, dialog boxes) in Word 2000. In any case, when I do what I used to do in Word 2003-- drag a copy of my beloved normal.dot to the appropriate folder and overwrite the dreaded standard normal.dot (does anyone find that helpful?), on opening Word says it can't read the current Normal template, and the display is the out-of-the-box baloney. Attaching my normal template through the References dialog box does not appear to work, although perhaps I should try renaming it (to MyNormal or something).

What is the best, least laborious way for me to recover my custom environment without rebuilding everything from scratch?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dkrathbun View Post
    Anyway, I had an extensively customized Word productivity environment that worked well for me (macros, toolbars, dialog boxes) in Word 2000. In any case, when I do what I used to do in Word 2003-- drag a copy of my beloved normal.dot to the appropriate folder and overwrite the dreaded standard normal.dot (does anyone find that helpful?), on opening Word says it can't read the current Normal template, and the display is the out-of-the-box baloney.
    If you open the Templates folder, right-click the "old" Normal.dot and choose Open, will it open that way?

Does the "old" Normal.dot have any unusual file attributes at the Windows level, such as Read-Only or Encryption?

My other thought is that Word 2000 and 2003 are very compatible, but later versions of Word may not work well with a Normal.dot carried forward from a pre-97 version, such as Word 2, 6, or 95.