New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, and Windows Explorer is being persnickity. I'll open it up and expect the folder I want to be at the top of the left pane when suddenly it will shoot all the way down to the bottom and I'll have to scroll to bring it back to the top. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be annoying. Also, I've found that when positioned in the left pane and I try and use the wheel on my mouse to scroll, it won't scroll until I've clicked in the pane. I'm sure that the Windows XP version recognized that my cursor was in the left pane and scrolled with the wheel. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    Ken

Thanks
    Yes.
    Many folks have had similar issues with this aspect of windows explorer behavior, including myself.
    Many believe it to be a bug in explorer itself, but Microsoft tends to think otherwise. Look through the Windows 7
    forum here and at the MS/Social tech net forums for discussions and possible workarounds. From what I have read, there isn't too much that can be done about it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Yes.
    Many folks have had similar issues with this aspect of windows explorer behavior, including myself.
    Many believe it to be a bug in explorer itself, but Microsoft tends to think otherwise. Look through the Windows 7
    forum here and at the MS/Social tech net forums for discussions and possible workarounds. From what I have read, there isn't too much that can be done about it.
    Thanks, Clint, this has been driving me crazy. It's good to know that I'm not the only one with the problem.

~Ken

Thanks
    Hi Ken,

If you have a few key folders you work in all the time, you can drag them up to the Favorites section at the top of the Navigation Pane. This does not move the original folders, but copies them there. When you edit or add files to any folders there, the originals are updated as well. Maybe this would help keep them from jumping to the bottom of the screen when you open Explorer.

Another idea is to start Explorer by clicking Start Menu and clicking on your user name at the top of the right panel on the menu. This opens Explorer starting at your user name with all the subfolders expanded in view (if you first right click an empty area of the Navigation Pane and enable Show all folders and Expand to current folder . This way, no matter how small or how large your Explorer window happens to be, you will be starting at the same place (where all your user files are located).

I have used both of these and have not had a problem with the navigation tree heading south.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Applequist View Post
    I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, and Windows Explorer is being persnickity. I'll open it up and expect the folder I want to be at the top of the left pane when suddenly it will shoot all the way down to the bottom and I'll have to scroll to bring it back to the top. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be annoying. Also, I've found that when positioned in the left pane and I try and use the wheel on my mouse to scroll, it won't scroll until I've clicked in the pane. I'm sure that the Windows XP version recognized that my cursor was in the left pane and scrolled with the wheel. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    Ken
    There is a free program called "Katmouse" that lets scrolling begin without having to click. Can get it here.
    Also works with browsers and web pages.

http://www.cnet.co.uk/search/downloa...j/katmouse.htm

Hope this helpful
    Clive
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    I do something similar to Gerald except that I created a shortcut to My user name on the desktop. This gives me one click access to all the folders under my user name. if you right click your user name and choose Create Shortcut, Windows politely informs you a shortcut cannot be created here and would you like it placed on the desktop instead. Very helpful for me.

Edit 5/1/10: Thanks Ken, I'm glad my suggestion helped you, it certainly helped me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I have been trying to work with the new explorer and finally have shelved it in frustration.
    Instead I use the XP Mode explorer for which I have created a icon on the Win 7 desktop. Problem solved.

Now I have to do something about that crummy search. Yes, windows search now does work but the way it has been implemented is awful. MS should have taken a cue from Google desktop in this regard.

Jock

Thanks
    I actually kind of like the Win 7 search. I find it very quick and allows me to type less to find what I'm looking for. After 2 or 3 letters Win 7 starts suggesting possibilities, usually the correct one is right in front of me. This is much better than the older versions in my opinion.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Hi Ted

Yes, that is certainly true. However if you have a large number of hits you are presented with a very bare list with no indication of the sort, size, date created or modified or any preview of the contents. If it fills more than one page you have no way to scroll thru the list or limit the result set by date, size or any other criteria. If it was matched by content you are given no hint as to what matched exactly.

The search works well, but the presentation is very simplistic.

Jock

Thanks
    I see what you mean in that regard. Obviously my searches are not nearly as full as yours. I have to believe if you do a google search you will find a replacement that better suits your needs. However I have to believe for a large number of us the Win 7 search does a very good job and is all we need.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Hi Jock,

When I enter a key word in the Start menu search box, let's say "Mac" as I have many documents mentioning Apple Mac computers on my drive, there is not a satisfactory listing presented, in my opinion, and I have all my user folders indexed. After the listing appears, however incomplete it seems, and in this example there were no more than twenty files listed, there is a link at the bottom of the search results list that reads see more results . When I click that, Windows Explorer opens and I see a listing of 250 + files in the content pane of explorer that contain the word Mac . I can right click on any open space in the content pane and select Sort by or Group by, and am presented with a small list of options to alter the display of the search results, including an option to select More . When I choose More, I can select from a long list of criteria for changing the sorting and/or grouping of the current search results. Many of these choices only apply to unique file types such as music or video, but you get a fairly broad range of choices here for all file types.

It is not perfect, but I get more functionality than I originally thought I could obtain using Windows 7 search.

You may already be aware of these capabilities, but I thought I would throw this into the discussion just in case it helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Mullin View Post
    I have been trying to work with the new explorer and finally have shelved it in frustration.
    Instead I use the XP Mode explorer for which I have created a icon on the Win 7 desktop. Problem solved.

Now I have to do something about that crummy search. Yes, windows search now does work but the way it has been implemented is awful. MS should have taken a cue from Google desktop in this regard.

Jock
    A much better search engine that is blindingly fast is called Everything. Can get it from here.

http://www.voidtools.com/
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    We have wandered off-topic here from explorer to search. However ...

Gerald: Thanks very much for your pointers. I had not noticed that additional link. It sounds like exactly what I was looking for. More recently I have been looking at alternatives and I have installed Google Desktop, which seems to hijack that feature. When I do a start menu search now I have a link at the bottom called "search everywhere" which opens Google Desktop in a browser with the same search. Presumably that has hijacked the MS search equivalent.

I have seen the MS stuff when doing searches from within explorer, but searching there does not return any email results in my case (running Thunderbird), whereas the "start menu" search does, although it calls them files.

CuriousClive: Thanks for the info on Everything. I will check it out, but currently running two search engines is already pretty silly and I don't want to go for three concurrently.

Jock

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Curiousclive View Post
    A much better search engine that is blindingly fast is called Everything. Can get it from here.

http://www.voidtools.com/
    I would absolutely recommend this software for pure file/folder searches across local volumes and network share support is improving. It is terrific and blazing fast because of the way it works. You need to use NTFS volumes for it to be compatible though. FAT support has been considered but I do wonder why they would bother in this day in age.

They have now updated their FAQ to list a guide to get around the UAC permissions issue which is great. I had to make a fix like this myself when I first started using the software.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/wi...windows/?p=730

Edit: Sorry didn't mean to get too far off topic but I do quite like this software.