New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a computer inventory db created with Access XP, SP3. I often need to search for a specific record based on one specific known field. For example, I know the user name and need to find the machine name. I can use the built-in find function, but it gets annoying having to manually go back to the first record, and then click on the specific field by which I want to search when I need to perform a specific search multiple times.

I decided to just create my own custom search form, which should give me more flexibility. The form consists of an option group, a text box and a list box. I have the following coded for the text box:

Code:
    Private Sub Text0_AfterUpdate()

Select Case frame1
        Case 1 'Search by Machine Name
            List2.RowSource = "SELECT tblMain.Machine_Name, tblMain.Model, tblMain.User, tblMain.Location, tblMain.WarrantyExpDate, tblMain.Asset_Tag FROM tblMain WHERE (((tblMain.Machine_Name) Like " * " & [Forms]![frmSearch]![Text0] & " * "));"
        Case 2  'Search by Model Number
            Me.List2.RowSource = qrysrchmodel
        Case 3  'Search by User
            Me.List2.RowSource = qrysrchname
        Case 4  'Search by tag
            Me.List2.RowSource = qrysrchtag
        End Select

List2.Requery
    When executing the code I have 2 issues (but probably only need a solution to one of them, since essentially the problem is that I'm not getting any results):
    1) I get a "type mismatch" error for Case 1
    2) For Cases 2 - 4, the list box remains empty. However, if I just open the respective queries while I have the search form active with data in Text0, I get the expected results.

I know it's got to be something simple and stupid that I'm overlooking, but I just can't find it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Chico,

For Case 1 it looks like you just forgot the "ME."

RG
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicoV View Post
    I have a computer inventory db created with Access XP, SP3. I often need to search for a specific record based on one specific known field. For example, I know the user name and need to find the machine name. I can use the built-in find function, but it gets annoying having to manually go back to the first record, and then click on the specific field by which I want to search when I need to perform a specific search multiple times.

I decided to just create my own custom search form, which should give me more flexibility. The form consists of an option group, a text box and a list box. I have the following coded for the text box:

Code:

Select Case frame1
            List2.RowSource = "SELECT tblMain.Machine_Name, tblMain.Model, tblMain.User, tblMain.Location, tblMain.WarrantyExpDate, tblMain.Asset_Tag FROM tblMain WHERE (((tblMain.Machine_Name) Like " * " & [Forms]![frmSearch]![Text0] & " * "));"
            Me.List2.RowSource = qrysrchmodel
        Case 3  'Search by User
            Me.List2.RowSource = qrysrchname
        Case 4  'Search by tag
            Me.List2.RowSource = qrysrchtag
        End Select

List2.Requery
    When executing the code I have 2 issues (but probably only need a solution to one of them, since essentially the problem is that I'm not getting any results):
    1) I get a "type mismatch" error for Case 1
    2) For Cases 2 - 4, the list box remains empty. However, if I just open the respective queries while I have the search form active with data in Text0, I get the expected results.

I know it's got to be something simple and stupid that I'm overlooking, but I just can't find it.
    I think you have a problem with quotes, try this:
    List2.RowSource = "SELECT tblMain.Machine_Name, tblMain.Model, tblMain.User, tblMain.Location, tblMain.WarrantyExpDate, tblMain.Asset_Tag FROM tblMain WHERE (((tblMain.Machine_Name) Like *" & [Forms]![frmSearch]![Text0] & "*));"

Thanks
    For Case 1 the Mismatch is because you cannot have "*" included in the assignment string.
    You need to insert the " Characters into the string.

You can either use a single ' instead of a ""

e.g. '*' or concatenate in additional chr(34)

Also IF there are no field ambiguities you can omit the tablenames from the query

Code:
    "SELECT Machine_Name, Model, User, Location, WarrantyExpDate, Asset_Tag FROM tblMain WHERE  ((Machine_Name) Like " & chr(34) & "*" & [Forms]![frmSearch]![Text0] & "*" & chr(34) & "));"
    OR with Single Quotes instead of chr(34)

Code:
    "SELECT Machine_Name, Model, User, Location, WarrantyExpDate, Asset_Tag FROM tblMain WHERE  ((Machine_Name) Like '*"  & [Forms]![frmSearch]![Text0] & "*'));"
    In the Other cases you need to enclose the Query Names in double quotes
    e.g.
    Code:
    Case 3  'Search by User
            Me.List2.RowSource = "qrysrchname"
    Andrew

New Lounger
    Thanks
    AWK -- I tried both versions of the SQL screen, but still get no results in the list box. Not a big deal though, it works perfectly when I put double quotes around the query name and, oddly enough spell the query name correctly

Now, what would be really cool is to put some code in the OnDoubleClick event to go to that record on my main form. Here's how I have it as of now, procedurally:

1) frmForm opens when the db opens. This is the main form that I use to do data entry/manipulation.
    2) I put a command button on this form that opens frmSearch (the form with which this thread deals).
    3) As of now, I have a simple close button on frmSearch.

It just occurred to me that I still may need the default Access record search capability. So, once I find the record I'm looking for with the search form, it could save a lot of headache to just be able to say something like

Code:
    forms!frmForm.DoCmd.GoToRecord List2.Column (4)
    I know that's probably nowhere near the correct syntax, but that's kind of the functionality I'm looking for. Sorry for the "noob" questions...I've been out of the dev game for a few years, so I'm a bit rusty.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, wait...I think I just found the answer myself. I put the following in the OnDoubleClick event of the list box:

Code:
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frmForm", , , "Machine_Name=" & Chr(34) & List2.Column(0) & Chr(34)
    Then, on the frmForm (main form) I added a command button to turn off the filter passed to this form from the search form. That way, when I'm done making changes to the data, I can go back to "normal" view.

Thanks
    Not sure why you get data on the SQL

Try adding the following couple of lines just to test it

Code:

Dim strSQL as String

Select Case frame1
            strSQL="SELECT Machine_Name, Model, User, Location, WarrantyExpDate, Asset_Tag FROM tblMain WHERE  ((Machine_Name) Like " & chr(34) & "*" & [Forms]![frmSearch]![Text0] & "*" & chr(34) & "));"
            List2.RowSource = strSQL
            'Comment out or delete the lines below later
            Msgbox strSQL
            Debug.Print strSQL  'Need to see Immediate Window to see this
            Me.List2.RowSource = "qrysrchmodel"
        Case 3  'Search by User
            Me.List2.RowSource = "qrysrchname"
        Case 4  'Search by tag
            Me.List2.RowSource = "qrysrchtag"
        End Select
    End Select

List2.Requery    

End Sub
    See what is generated in the Message Box

Or copy and paste the results of the variable strSQL placed into the immediate window into a Query and see what it gets.
    Might give you some insight into why you get no rows.

On the other hand, might not....
    Andrew