Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Whenever I try to google a well-known 'Typing' lessons program, it invariably is reported as being 'free', which it never is. 'Typing' is the one thing that the disadvantaged could benefit a great deal from if it is open source or something of the sort, Yours Truly included. I'm not sure that many of us are great keyboarders, and if anyone knows of a good source of economical learning on current systems (MS7), that would be welcome news.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try this:
    http://www.typefastertypingtutor.com/

I noticed it on this freeware site a day or two after reading your post:
    http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD//XPFreeware.html

GM

Thanks
    Google doesn't monitor its links for veracity.

Take heart. At 64, I can build computers and repair them, but I've never been able to learn to type. Still typing with 2 fingers, looking at the keyboard .:
    2 desktops: Win XP Pro SP3 / 3 GHZ/3 GB RAM/ Firefox, Thunderbird /
    Open Office

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Two fingered "Seek and Destroy" here.
    I am in my 60's and never found a keyboard that would fit my hands, but, the two fingers seem to find the keys MOST of the time.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    I'm 64. Not hand-fitting with me, but I could never sit still during those repetitive exercises. Tried it several times, even as an adult. I use my 2 middle fingers. : My friends already know they can't IM, because while I'm looking at the keyboard, they're already finished typing.
    Open Office

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I might explain that the reason I am suddenly or again interested is that I recently upgraded an old laptop that has a keyboard that is superb for 'typing', and thought I might try to get my speed up. I also have a netbook which is really too small for anything serious (and how anyone can key those tiny devices is beyond me), and I have a very smooth and slick laptop that I am totally lost on. I never know where I am with that thing.

By the way, the old guy was a bottom-of-the-line XP Home, now with 2 GB (minus the RAM that goes to video) and various other improvements, and I am very smoothly and comfortably running Win 7 Ult and Office 2010 RTM on the thing.

Function keys and embedded keyboards are fine, but one thing I think manufacturers of laptops in particular should be required to do (by consumers if not by law) is provide a keyboarding tutorial for each and every computer they produce. Every keyboard is different it seems, with stuff many of us never find or know about, and it drives me crazy, and the learning curve is very steep for some of us with a new computer.

Thanks
    If they keep changing the laptop keyboards, it must be disastrous for touch typists. I see your point.
    Open Office