Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I pulled two hard drives out of an old Packard Bell computer. Both have useful data, so I bought a hard drive enclosure that connects to my Win7 machine via USB. One drive--a Seagate ST33232A--comes up right away. The other--a Western Digital AC-36400 CAVIAR--will not. I've moved the jumpers around, though I can't say for sure I've covered all the possible positions. I went with no jumper, too--no luck.

By the way, the old Packard-Bell has gone to recycling, so I can't put these drives back in it. Any tips?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    1. Go to the WD site and look up the jumper settings.
    2. You may not be providing enough power for the disk. Try connecting it internally - after disconnecting all your other drives - and boot from a recovery CD.

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the reply, Paul. I'd like to add some new information. Since I first posted, I learned that in similar situations, most hard drives work with the jumpers in the "master" position. I had not yet tried that setting, and when I did, my Win7 machine recognized the drive. That's the good news. The bad news: The message box telling me I'd have to format the drive before I can use it. It appears this drive was the master HD in the old Packard Bell where I found it, and it has the Windows 98 OS installed on it. Of course, formatting the drive is out of the question, at least until I can retrieve the information stored on it.

Re: your advice—The jumper settings are printed on the WD drive's case. Very convenient. As for power: The enclosure has its own AC power source, so I doubt that's a problem. I think my next trick will be to try connecting this drive to another machine--an older WinXP computer. If that fails, I'll try connecting it internally.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If Windows sees the drive but not the files the drive may be corrupt, or it may have been installed strangely in the old machine. Good luck.

cheers, Paul