2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to download a the Epson 2400 Photo Scanner driver for my new Dell Win7 laptop.
    After a bit it on the Epson Download page I end up with a IE8 "cannot display this webpage" screen.

I CAN download the driver with my Vista/IE8 system after telling the "Protect Your Security... Option" to download.

Is there a setting on the Win7/IE8 I need to change or is this a new Win 7 feature?

Ray A.

Thanks
    Have you tried to download the file with a different browser such as FireFox (FF)? Is there a chance your Pop Up Blocker is blocking the site? Perhaps adding the site to the Trusted Sites list in Internet Options/Security would allow the download.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Have you tried to download the file with a different browser such as FireFox (FF)? Is there a chance your Pop Up Blocker is blocking the site? Perhaps adding the site to the Trusted Sites list in Internet Options/Security would allow the download.
    It is a new system and I have not installed FireFox yet.
    That is why I went to my Vista system for the download.
    The Win7 is 64 Bit, so I am having to download a lot of new drivers,

Shouldn't the Pop Up Blocker give me some warning, like with Vista?
    Ray A.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by raylsworth View Post

Ray A.
    This depends on your Pop Up Blocker settings. Go to Tools/ Pop Up Blocker/ Pop Up Blocker settings. There are 2 check boxes (Notifications and Blocking Level) that allow these notifications. Also this is where you can add Trusted Sites. Do you save downloads, or choose open? Perhaps it would work better to save the file to you system. I believe Win 7 already has a downloads folder. The first time you may have to point to this folder to save the download. Look in Users/Your User Name to find the Download folder. I actually create a shortcut to the Your User Name folder on my desktop so I can find this very useful folder with one click.

On my 3 Win 7 64 Bit systems, Win 7 found drivers that worked properly. What new drivers do you need if the Win 7 system is new? These must just be peripheralss. You mention a Epson scanner. Is this a 32 Bit or 64 Bit. Most 32 Bit apps and devices work very well on a 64 Bit system. It appears that the file download for this discontinued scanner utilizes the Vista file for Win 7 compatibility (When I click on the file for Win 7 the explanation talks about Vista compatibility) I have found that on some older peripherals (I had an HP scanner) Win 7 drivers were not supported and using the Vista (or even XP) file allowed operation, but at a lower level of features. This does not explain why you are having problems downloading the file, but may show that once you do you may not get all the features you had in the past.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You mention a Epson scanner. Is this a 32 Bit or 64 Bit. Most 32 Bit apps and devices work very well on a 64 Bit system. It appears that the file download for this discontinued scanner utilizes the Vista file for Win 7 compatibility
    Note: the scanner itself is neither 32-bit nor 64-bit as far as Windows is concerned. The drivers for the scanner are 32-bit or 64-bit.

In a 64-bit operating system you must install 64-bit drivers. Devices that worked on a 32-bit OS will only work on the 64-bit OS if there is a 64-bit driver.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    64-bit that's the problem! You're probably trying to download it using a [iFlash][/i] applet and their isn't any for any 64-bit browser yet, ( thanks Adobe!) Go in and start your 32-bit version and try it. Yup, there are two versions in the 64-bit OS! Forget FireFox, I hate downloading anything with that! It's the worst there is! Just start and use the 32-bit version of IE8 and you'll be okay. By the way put that icon on your desktop you'll be using it until Adobe gets off their lame ass and fixes this!

Ray A.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This depends on your Pop Up Blocker settings. Go to Tools/ Pop Up Blocker/ Pop Up Blocker settings. There are 2 check boxes (Notifications and Blocking Level) that allow these notifications. Also this is where you can add Trusted Sites. Do you save downloads, or choose open? Perhaps it would work better to save the file to you system. I believe Win 7 already has a downloads folder. The first time you may have to point to this folder to save the download. Look in Users/Your User Name to find the Download folder. I actually create a shortcut to the Your User Name folder on my desktop so I can find this very useful folder with one click.

On my 3 Win 7 64 Bit systems, Win 7 found drivers that worked properly. What new drivers do you need if the Win 7 system is new? These must just be peripheralss. You mention a Epson scanner. Is this a 32 Bit or 64 Bit. Most 32 Bit apps and devices work very well on a 64 Bit system. It appears that the file download for this discontinued scanner utilizes the Vista file for Win 7 compatibility (When I click on the file for Win 7 the explanation talks about Vista compatibility) I have found that on some older peripherals (I had an HP scanner) Win 7 drivers were not supported and using the Vista (or even XP) file allowed operation, but at a lower level of features. This does not explain why you are having problems downloading the file, but may show that once you do you may not get all the features you had in the past.
    Ted,
    Sorry for the delay in responding. The Win 7 is really my wife's computer for a special project.
    She an XP and I have a Vista for every day work, so getting the Win7 up to speed has become low priority.

Anyway, the Tools/Pop up settings were as you recommended.
    I am seeing no indication of an attempted pop-up, just goes to no web site connection.
    Allen's suggestion looks more like my situation.

I found the Epson driver on the Epson web site by Name & Model number.
    The Vista 64b version is the same for Win7.

Ray A

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Morse III View Post
    64-bit that's the problem! You're probably trying to download it using a [iFlash][/i] applet and their isn't any for any 64-bit browser yet, ( thanks Adobe!) Go in and start your 32-bit version and try it. Yup, there are two versions in the 64-bit OS! Forget FireFox, I hate downloading anything with that! It's the worst there is! Just start and use the 32-bit version of IE8 and you'll be okay. By the way put that icon on your desktop you'll be using it until Adobe gets off their lame ass and fixes this!
    Allen,
    Thanks. sounds like this is very likely my problem.
    Is there anyway to verify it?

Also, I am not clear. Do mean the 32 Bit Win7 or IE8?
    And how do I do this?
    Win7 came preinstalled by Dell, so I don't have a 32 bit version handy.
    Ray A.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Also, I am not clear. Do mean the 32 Bit Win7 or IE8?
    And how do I do this?
    Win7 came preinstalled by Dell, so I don't have a 32 bit version handy.
    With the 64-bit versions of Windows 7 you get both a 32-bit & 64-bit IE. On the full Start menu you should see both "Internet Explorer" (this is the 32-bit version) & "Internet Explorer (64 bit)".

Joe
    Joe