5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I installed W7 I also created a Repair Disk. I have created a small partiton and copied the Repair Disk to it.
    How do I set it up so that I can boot from this "repair partition" if I had to?
    Dick

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I don't think you can because copying the repair disk doesn't create the boot information on the destination disk.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Unless your optical drive is fried, you should not have to. I also do not think it possible. When you turn the PC on it has to be able to see the partition to boot from it and it will never see the repair partition you created.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    When I installed W7 I also created a Repair Disk. I have created a small partiton and copied the Repair Disk to it.
    How do I set it up so that I can boot from this "repair partition" if I had to?
    Dick
    Go here and download EasyBCD 2.0 Beta. You'll need to register in order to download, but it's free. And make sure you get 2.0 in order to work with Windows 7 (the earlier versions are for Vista only).

Install and run the app. It reads your BCD store when it launches. It's fairly intuitive to use. You can add the Repair Disk to your boot menu. And it runs much quicker from the hard drive than from the optical drive.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, BBearren.
    Downloaded the 2.0 beta. Added my repair drive/partition to the boot sequence. When booting from there, no joy:

winload.exe
    "The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt."

Seems like a dumb question, but the repair disk I had copied over is from when I first installed W7. Since then, of course, I have created this repair drive/partition.
    Do I need to create a repair disk that relects my new logical connfiguration, and copy that over?

Or, is there something else I need to do?

Thanks,
    Dick

Thanks
    It could be something as simple as an error in copying the disk to the hard drive, or a burn error when the disk was burned. I'm assuming you have tested the disk to make sure the PC will boot from it.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, BBearren, you know how they spell "assume." You didn't, but I surely lived up to the first part of that word. I have Acronis True Image, and have tested and even had to use an Acronis backup a few times to recover. However, I had never tested my Microsoft W7 Repair Disk. I had "assumed" that ir would work.
    My bad. I burned a new one; tested it; and it worked. So, I copied the Repair Disk to my repair partition; and that works too.

Thanks for your help.
    Dick

Thanks
    Dick, one of my favorite supervisors "back in the day"always said that rule #1 for troubleshooting any problem is, "Start with the simple and proceed to the complex". He would follow that phrase with an example, "Is it plugged in?"

I've tried to follow that all my working life, but I am still guilty from time to time of jumping to a conclusion and turning a relatively simple problem into a long and tedious journey.

I'm glad your difficulty was one of those simple ones.

Unleash Windows