2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,
    My new Win7 64bit notebook has a 250G hard drive. I wanted to divide it into 4 partitions of 30G, 20G, 100G and 100G. I was able to open the partition window easily. When I told it to shrink C:, it evaluated the allowable shrink space first. It reported that it could not shrink below 114G because of unmovable files!!! I did shrink it to 114G. Then defragged and asked it again to shrink. It said this time, "0" shrink space available!!!
    I have not installed any programs at all. I only use it to explore Win7 so far. It was my intention to set up partitions before any installs or changes by me.
    Any suggestions??? Anyone know why bare bones Win7 needs 114G??? What should I do ???
    Thanks in advance,
    Michael

Thanks
    Any 3rd party partitioning tool will easily do the job.
    Partition Wizard Home Edition: Free
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelA View Post
    Any suggestions??? Anyone know why bare bones Win7 needs 114G??? What should I do ???
    What it amounts to is Windows trying to do something to Windows while Windows is running. Windows can't move any file that Windows has open. There is at least one open file far enough into the disk that in order to encompass that file, it requires disk space that amounts to 114GB. There's plenty of free space scattered among the files.

Clint's advice is good. A third party tool can move the Windows files when they aren't open. I'm not familiar with Partition Wizard, but most tools have an option to consolidate space on the disk by moving files to minimize free space between files.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try turning off Restore TEMPORARILY and clear all the restore points which may be using up the disk space. If Win 7 originally had the whole disk, the area assigned for Restore may still be a percentage of the whole disk and not just its new partition.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try turning off Restore TEMPORARILY and clear all the restore points which may be using up the disk space.
    This seemed like the easiest, so I tried this first. When I looked @ system restore, I found part of the problem. Apparently when Win7 was installed, it added about 10 MS updates. Interestingly, each update created a restore point. I assume that is in case I want to remove Microsoft updates. Interesting, but I would not do that. After shutting off system restore, MS partition tool then allowed me to shrink C: to 32.x Gig. Close enough to 32G for me. It would not however allow me to create the other partitions I wanted.

Any 3rd party partitioning tool will easily do the job.
    Partition Wizard Home Edition: Free
    This Partition manager is OK for 64bit Win7. It is a simple 7M download. It is a self extracting 7zip file. I downloaded it on my XP desktop. Then copied it to USB flash drive. Until now, I have not set Win7 notebook for internet access. Thats a long story for another day. So I used the flash drive for transfer to Win7 notebook. I then decided to self extract to a folder on the flash drive. I wanted to minimize interference.
    Partition Wizard works beautifully. It truly deserves 5 stars. It reminds me of the old partition magic program. I quickly set my partitions, declared them logical and labeled all. The entire operation took only about 5 minutes. By contrast, Win7 just barfed and choked.
    If anyone needs to change partition, I totally suggest this program.
    With the help of comments in this thread, my problem is totally resolved.
    Thanks to all. It is much appreciated.
    Michael

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelA View Post
    C: to 32.x Gig. Close enough to 32G for me. It would not however allow me to create the other partitions I wanted.
    I am unsure how you run your laptop in terms of organisation of OS/Software/Data etc but I'd hazard guess 32GB is too small for Windows 7 I'd recommend at least 40GB but this does depend on how much software you intend to load and whether it be on system partition or another partition.

You'll find Windows 7's WinSXS (Windows Side-By-Side) folder to grow in size over time so you might find you'll run low on system partition space down the track. If you haven't heard of it before. It stores multiple copies of dll's (software libraries) in order to let multiple applications run in Windows without any compatibility problem. This convenience comes at a cost in terms of space consumption.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    You'll find Windows 7's WinSXS (Windows Side-By-Side) folder to grow in size over time so you might find you'll run low on system partition space down the track. If you haven't heard of it before. It stores multiple copies of dll's (software libraries) in order to let multiple applications run in Windows without any compatibility problem. This convenience comes at a cost in terms of space consumption.
    Actually, you can move the Winsxs folder to another partition, as well as the Program Files folder, the ProgramData folder and the Users folder. I have Windows on a 16GB partition currently, but I intend to shrink it to 12GB (I have 6.6GB free space now).
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am unsure how you run your laptop in terms of organisation of OS/Software/Data etc but I'd hazard guess 32GB is too small for Windows 7 I'd recommend at least 40GB but this does depend on how much software you intend to load and whether it be on system partition or another partition.
    Old habits die slowly, I guess. Going back to the start of the millenium, I have always isolated the OS from added installs. My thought of 30G & 20G, was to isolate Win7 on 30G and all other installs would be on the 20G partition. In the past, I have even put MsOffice on the 2nd partition.
    I do keep an eye on % of space available and if it gets close to 50%, I then readjust partitions. But, so far I have never reached that 50%. If things change with time, of course I will also have to change.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Michael

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want the in depth discussion on this topic, check out the following thread:

http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...owtopic=773999

and yes, bbearren has been kind enough to post HOW to move that pesky (pesky to move that is) winSXS folder on the website linked in that thread...

@bbearren

Thanks for your perspective on drive partitioning....