Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Email blocked

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Win XP3 and OE6. One particular email will not show pictures, only a small red X in a tiny box. The email suggests looking at it in my browser but if I try that I get this message -- Request denied by WatchGuard HTTP proxy.
    Reason: IPS matched signature "BEM Zango Seekmo Bar Spyware User-Agent (Seekmo Toolbar)", id='1000'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Method: GET
    Host: nl.aucklandmuseum.com
    Path: /Extensions/ViewSentNewsletter.aspx?NewsId=312&UserId=28699&Fn =Gwe&Ln=Phi

I contacted the sender of the email and they said it was my internet settings and I should check with my ISP. I did that and they denied any involvement with Watchguard and I hould contact my email service provider. The firm who handles my email said they did not use Watchguard and that it was on my PC. I have never knowingly installed Watchguard and can find no trace of it. Any suggestions anyone?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's hard to know without seeing the email - don't post it.
    You can look at the raw email to see the HTML code and from there work out where the image is located.
    Tell us what the email client is and we will advise how to view the HTML.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My email client is Outlook Express 6 and I can right click the message in the inbox and click properties, then details, then message source to see the HTML code but I cannot see "where the image is located". There is also no mention of Watchguard. As this has only happened once, perhaps I will just ignore the whole episode, but it does concern me that one of my ISPs thinks I have Watchguard installed on my PC.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This Is getting stranger. I have just forwarded the problem email to myself and brought it in on another networked PC. All the pictures are visible and it wil also open successfully in my browser. But if I forward it again to myself and bring it in on the original PC I cannot get pictures and trying to open it in the browser results in the same Watchguard error message.

Thanks
    http://en.wikipedia....wiki/WatchGuard This is a commercial product, so this is mysterious. But be grateful for it.

You like to live dangerously. Zango is infamous for carrying spyware. I wouldn't be too anxious to see anything that came from it.
    http://blogs.pcmag.c...stall_zango.php

And OE 6 is full of security bugs. Switch to Thunderbird.
    2 desktops: Win XP Pro SP3 / 3 GHZ/3 GB RAM/ Firefox, Thunderbird /
    Open Office

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Does sound like your PC may have some nasties on it. Have you run a recent virus scan?

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I have run Norton Antivirus, nothing found. Also ran AdAware, Spybot S&D, and Spyware Doctor, all of which found traces of Zango and Seekmo and removed them, but the email still won't open properly and I get the same Watchguard message when tying to open the email in my browser.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another strange development!! I asked the sender of the email I was having problems with to send it to me again. They did so and it opens perfectly, pictures and all, straight away without the usual warning that some pictures have been blocked etc and to click here to download pictures. Although if I click on any links in the email I still get the "Access denied by Watchguard" message as in my original post.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you copy the URL from a link and paste it into your browser? This should tell us if the issue is browser or mail client related.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I copy the link and pasteit into my browser (IE8) I just get the same message (copied below).

Request denied by WatchGuard HTTP proxy.
    Reason: IPS matched signature "BEM Zango Seekmo Bar Spyware User-Agent (Seekmo Toolbar)", id='1000'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Method: GET
    Host: nl.aucklandmuseum.com
    Path: /extensions/MailLink.aspx?uid=24126&lid=3097

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you post the link if it's not private? We can test it on other machines.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Open Office

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Can you post the link if it's not private? We can test it on other machines.

cheers, Paul
    This is the link from the original email where it suggests looking at it in the browser.

http://nl.aucklandmuseum.com/Extensi...&Fn=Gwe&Ln=Phi

Regards

David

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    No problem loading it from here using Firefox. Seems you still have some malware installed on your system.
    Try one of the HijackThis forums for advice.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    The problem is perplexing. ????? That's not a malware site, Phil doesn't have the WatchGuard proxy. Phil, are you either on a school or business computer?

It could be WatchGuard proxy IS the malware, and named after the real one, the same way malware files are sometimes named after real Win files.

Phil, post your HJT log here. I'll read it.
    Open Office

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast