Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've installed 5 or more versions of Linux and not one
    of them will use the sound card(s).

Dell Optiplex / Pen3/ 600
    Has a built in sound card 'and' a soundblaster card

Under Windows-XX the sound card(s) works just fine
    load in any version of Linux and I've got nothing.

Just updated to the newest version of Ubuntu -- NO JOY!
    Had it check for hardware drivers and it found none.

Grandpa Bill

Thanks
    What is the exact make and model of the sound card?
    Find out the above information and check the card's manufacturer for "Linux" drivers and or support.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Bill View Post
    I've installed 5 or more versions of Linux and not one
    of them will use the sound card(s).

Dell Optiplex / Pen3/ 600
    Has a built in sound card 'and' a soundblaster card

Under Windows-XX the sound card(s) works just fine
    load in any version of Linux and I've got nothing.

Just updated to the newest version of Ubuntu -- NO JOY!
    Had it check for hardware drivers and it found none.

Grandpa Bill
    Grandpa Bill,
    Hello, you could try and post the question on the the "Linux" forum...http://forums.linuxmint.com/ they have provided me with some measure of success with Mint Helena. Use their "Newbie" forum as they all speak in "CLI" (command line) in most of the other forums.Still having some wireless card problems, seems my learning curve is at a stand still for now. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Hi Grandpa Bill,

Linuxmint should be the easiest flavor to resolve the sound card difficulty. Have you used Synaptic to locate all possible sound card drivers? And have you found any proprietary drivers listed for your card in Synaptic?

And Fred, Mint normally supplies a couple of proprietary wireless card drivers that work very well. The big problem I had is that due to the wireless not initially functioning, I was unable to download the drivers! If you are having the same difficulty, plug in an Ethernet cable from your computer to your router to download the drivers. That worked for me and once I got the proprietary driver installed, the wireless took off.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Guys,
    Funny you should mention "LinuxMint" --- I just saw that on another post and got it
    installed last night and about 300 updates, but it's a 'no-go' too.

Had it run the search for drivers and came up blank.

As for checking on the sound blaster's site came up blank several Linux versions
    ago. Nothing in the Dell Camp either.

Thought it maybe a bad set of speakers, but that can't be as I had sound with
    windoes installed, but I even hooked up my headset with mike.... "NO JOY!"

The one thing nice was it found my networked laser printer and found/installed the
    drivers without a hitch. Was Printing a test page in under 5 minutes.

OH! Quick Side question: Where do I find a way to change the network name?
    Right now it shows as "WorkGroup" on all my XP/Win7 machines --- need to
    change it to my default network name.

Grandpa Bill

Thanks
    Grandpa Bill, have you checked to see if a more recent BIOS update exists for your computer? If so, that may help resolve the sound issue with Linux.

You can change your workgroup name on the System page in Control Panel in XP and Win7. If there are any other questions related to the Windows side of things we need to start a new thread in one of the Windows forums.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Grandpa Bill, have you checked to see if a more recent BIOS update exists for your computer? If so, that may help resolve the sound issue with Linux.

You can change your workgroup name on the System page in Control Panel in XP and Win7. If there are any other questions related to the Windows side of things we need to start a new thread in one of the Windows forums.
    NO -- NO Not on the entire network .... just want to change the Linux machine to the rest of my network.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Bill View Post
    NO -- NO Not on the entire network .... just want to change the Linux machine to the rest of my network.
    Sorry about that Grandpa Bill. I totally misunderstood. Here is where you can change the workgroup name in Mint Linux (or Ubuntu for that matter).

Press Alt+F2

Type gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

Find the following line ( it's somewhere in the very beginning of the file.

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
    workgroup = workgroup (<<<< this side is the one to be changed to whatever name your workgroup is).

You will probably find that it is already set up as WORKGROUP, as this example shows.
    Deadeye81

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Gerald,
    Thinks for the command line.... for some reason it wouldn't work
    from that window... (Either nothing happened or it was a "Ready Only"
    view.

So I opened a terminal and tried it there -- same thing.... but then
    remembered to do the "SU" first then typed your line and that time it
    worked just fine.

(Still 'NoJoy' on the sound card .. still looking for drivers.)

GB

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you go to the Hardware tab on the Sound Preferences dialog (on an Ubuntu machine running Gnome, this is under Preferences | Sound), what hardware is listed? And which Profile setting is selected? Also, on the Output tab, what is listed and what is selected? Sometime you have to try other selections (for hardware, Profile and output) to see which one (or combination) works.

Also, if you have multiple line-out connectors (I have one in the back of the box and another on the front) you might need to try the speakers in each of them (I once had the situation where the speakers worked just fine from the front panel but not from the back!)

Another thought - did you disable the on-motherboard sound in the BIOS? If not, try doing that. You might need to run with the Live CD so that Linux sees only the Soundblaster card and doesn't get confused.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's the screenshots:
    Linux Default Theme
    [attachment=88715:Linux1.jpg]

No Drivers in use
    [attachment=88716:Linux2.jpg]

Hardware settings: Internal Audio
    [attachment=88717:Linux3.jpg]

[attachment=88718:Linux4.jpg]

[attachment=88719:Linux5.jpg]

Shows nothing
    [attachment=88720:Linux6.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a quick note - you can take screen shots in Ubuntu using the Take Screenshot utility. You can find it under the start menu at Applications | Accessories | Take Screenshot. (There is a similar utility for KDE users.) The utility lets you capture the full screen, a window or a region (you can select what to copy.) The utility lets you save the screenshot as a file.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    Just a quick note - you can take screen shots in Ubuntu using the Take Screenshot utility. You can find it under the start menu at Applications | Accessories | Take Screenshot. (There is a similar utility for KDE users.) The utility lets you capture the full screen, a window or a region (you can select what to copy.) The utility lets you save the screenshot as a file.
    Nothing is setup on the linux box.... no email...only did a couple of plugins in FF.

I've got PaintShop Pro11 on all my windows machines and have used that for
    years..... I've never opened 'Gimp' so won't know where to start on it.

Linux and windoes won't play nice... I can see the linux box but not the drives or
    files.... Says 'Empty' Don't remember if I even saw a network list on the linux box.....
    I'll have to take a look at that. (Just checked it and yes it sees all the Windows
    machines but says it can't mount them.) So I can't send the screenshots over to
    any of the other machines via the network.

When posting or getting email about a post I'm always on a Windoes machine.
    (Win7 this time.)

GB

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks likes the SoundBlaster card is not being seen; at least that is what I think that the hardware type of "Internal Audio Analog Stereo" means. I have seen discussions on other forums about problems with SoundBlaster on Linux (mainly lack of drivers).

At the bottom of the hardware tab there will be a drop-down box of profiles, try changing those and see if it helps.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    only did a couple of plugins in FF
    You can access the forums in Firefox on Ubuntu, right??

I've never opened 'Gimp' so won't know where to start on it.
    No gimp needed, the screenshot utility lets you save files in a number of formats.

Linux and windoes won't play nice... I can see the linux box but not the drives or files..
    I always transfer files while sitting at the Linux machine. If I have a share on Windows named \\mypcname\someshare, then in the File Manager on Linux I enter this in the address box:

smb://mypcname/someshare

Then I am usually asked for the Windows login, after which the Windows share is shown. (You can easily share folders in Windows by right-clicking and selecting Share... I recommend creating a specific directory, such as c:\sharing, and use that to transfer files from one machine to another (unless you are running Windows Professional, in which case I have an even better solution)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast