Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know if the 'free' upgrade from office 2007 to 2010 will include both the 32 and 64 bit versions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Both versions should be there. See "Installing what you want" at Microsoft Office 2010 Engineering : Understanding 64-Bit Office.

Joe

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why 'does it suck'? There has to be a start and finish date to the technical update period. If they moved the date forward to cover the date you purchased Office 2007, those who purchased just before you will quibble about the same thing. Life's tough.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Office 2010 has been sent to the manufacturers (of the physical media), the so called RTM or Gold release.

At this point - whether Windows, Office or server software - Microsoft offers anyone purchasing a new copy of the current version (in this case Office 2007) a free upgrade to the equivalent version of Office 2010. Once Office 2010 hits the stores for sale, then the offer stops and those qualifying users have (usually) one month to apply for their upgrade.

If Microsoft did not do this, they would not sell any Office products for a period of 6 or 7 weeks which would hit their cash flow and be financial suicide.

Why on earth would Microsoft offer anyone purchasing Office 2007 out of that time window a free upgrade? If Microsoft simply kept it secret that a new version was being released and you purchase Office 2007 today and the shelves were cleared overnight and replaced with Office 2010, then you'd have reason the be agrieved,

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Ted,
    Microsoft has always done this. For about a 4-8 weeks BEFORE releasing a new version of their programs (NOT OS's) have offered FREE upgrade to the new version if one was to buy the current version. Some other software providers do this but not that many.

Remember that life is NOT fair

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree that Vista was a terrible OS. But who got a free upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 just because it was so bad?

Office 2007 was a completely different kettle of fish. I don't see how you can compare it with the Vista debacle. It is very different from Office 2003 but those differences are unchanged in Office 2010. Office 2010 is only a progression from Office 2007, just as Office 2003 was a progression of Office 2002.

PS I might add that I am no fan of the new ribbon interface. I still believe that Office 2003 was the best and most productive version of the suite to date. If it wan't that I have to support the latest versions, I assure you that I would still be using Office 2003.

Thanks
    I have deleted all my previous posts in this thread. I fully realize any S/W manufacturers may update their apps in any manner they wish. They may either update for free or require a payment, again in any manner they wish. Expressing my opinion as to how MS is offering updates to their Office products was inappropriate in this thread.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted

I also apologise for my inappropriate remarks which have been deleted.

Terr

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Farrell View Post
    Ted

I also apologise for my inappropriate remarks which have been deleted.

Terr
    Thank you
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    I still believe that Office 2003 was the best and most productive version of the suite to date.
    Agree, with the exception of Excel - Excel 2007 introduced the much larger sheet size, =SUMIFS() and several other functions, intelligent deleting of duplicated items, and a number of features that I took to very quickly and miss when I'm back in 2003 or 2002. My biggest complaint about the ribbon is not so much it's novel (at the time) structure as it's lack of customizability - the quick access toolbar is a feeble shadow of what users could do with Office 97 - 2003 menus.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBF View Post
    My biggest complaint about the ribbon is not so much it's novel (at the time) structure as it's lack of customizability - the quick access toolbar is a feeble shadow of what users could do with Office 97 - 2003 menus.
    You'll be glad to get the opportunity to get Office 2010. You can customize the Ribbon much more freely than in 2007. I think it is a plus that the Ribbon is now through all of the suite including Outlook, Visio, etc.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    You'll be glad to get the opportunity to get Office 2010. You can customize the Ribbon much more freely than in 2007. I think it is a plus that the Ribbon is now through all of the suite including Outlook, Visio, etc.

Joe

Although the Ribbon is better in O2010, it still lacks complete and SIMPLE user control. When you can drag and drop command buttons on or off the ribbon, it will have become of age.

Currently, you are still limited to creating a custom Group to which you can add commands. As an example, I find half the commands in the Pargraph Group a waste of space: I'd like to be able to remove those I don't use and add those that are important to me - say ParaPageBreakBefore for example. OK, you can add them to the QAT, but in terms of organisation of the desktop, being able to add my commands to the existing ribbon group makes far more sense. There is improvement, but it is still long-winded to have to create Custom Groups and remove existing Groups.

This is Windows and drag and drop should reign supreme.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Although the Ribbon is better in O2010, it still lacks complete and SIMPLE user control. When you can drag and drop command buttons on or off the ribbon, it will have become of age.
    I agree that is it still somewhat convoluted to accomplish what you describe. However, it is certainly better than Office 2007. Maybe with "Office next" it will be even better.

Joe
    Joe