New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am having problems logging in to the Internet with my desktop.

Setup is Netgear wireless router with laptop connected wirelessly and desktop by cable. Laptop is fine. Network is fine - the two PCs can talk to each other and exchange files.

I have disconnected the desktop from the router and connected to a different ISP using dial-up; the problems still exist, so the problem appears to be with the desktop, not the network or router or ISP.

Running XP home SP3 and IE8 or both machines. Everything fully patched. F-Secure Internet Security 2010 fully up to date. Full scan shows 27 'suspicious items', but I have checked them all and they are just things like tracking cookies. Spybot gives the all clear.

F-Secure and Spybot are able to access updates from the Internet. I also have remote access to the desktop using LogMeIn and this works - so it is obviously able to access the LogMeIn website.

Symptoms:

Over the past months IE8 has reported connection problems on several occasions. This was apparently due to winsock catalogue corruption. Each time it happened I ran 'netsh winsock reset', rebooted and everything was OK.

Now when I boot up, it may or may not be possible to log into the Internet. If I can, then I may be able to access it a number of times or, if I close IE8 down then try it again, it may just hang with 2 or 3 green squares on the progress bar and no message about connection problems. When this happens, the status bar shows the address of the site rather then its name.

My email (Outlook Express) does not work at all - clicking on Send/Receive does nothing - not even the dialog box showing progress.

I use FTPExplorer to access my website. This does not work at all - just says connecting but then hangs. After I exit FTPExplorer then IE8 will never connect again unless I reboot.

There is another intermittent 'problem'. When I look in task manager, applications are unloaded when I exit from them, but there are still shown in the processes tab. There may or may not be multiple instances of iexplore.exe or ftpx.exe for instance. If there are multiple entries then PC is very slow to shut down.

I have tried System Restore and Registry cleaners - but that made no difference.

I have now run out of ideas!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After 6 sleepless days and nights I have solved it.

The problem was caused by F-Secure Internet Security 2010 which appeared to have lost the plot about which applications are allowed to connect to the Internet.

It allowed itself, Spybot and Secunia - but FTPExplorer and CCleaner (there may have been others) were blocked; this caused them to stay loaded in processes, even though I have closed the application and, crucially, prevent any other applications from accessing the Internet including IE8 and OE.

I uninstalled and re-installed F-Secure and everything is back to normal.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Peter,

I had the exact same situation, but did not know the culprit until I noticed that several of the updates to Charter (F-Secure) Security Suite had never installed properly. When I tried to allow specific apps to do certain things, the suite would not co-operate. In my case, I had some other issues with Diskeeper and file system errors, so I did a clean install and started over. Have had no issues since.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So good to know why it is happening.

I feel that we need diagnostic software that explains why a problem is happening; the solution is often simple once you know the reason for the problem.

Best wishes

Peter