New Lounger
    philadelphia, pa
    Windows 7 for Dummies states the back up program with windows 7 backs up emails. Does any0one know if this is just the Live Mail that will be backed up, or will the back up include Outlook 2007. Currently using 'let windows decide what to back up'. Thanks

California & Arizona
    I use Windows 7 backup and restore, but I have never relied on the "let windows decide". Email is typically stored in the User account folders.

Read the documentation;
    Let Windows choose
    If you let Windows choose what is backed up, the following items are included in your backup:

Data files that are saved in libraries, on the desktop, and in default Windows folders for all people with a user account on the computer.

Only local files in libraries are included in the backup. If you have files in a library that are saved on a drive located on a different computer on a network, on the Internet, on the same drive that you are saving the backup on, or on a drive that is not formatted using the NTFS file system, they aren't included in the backup.

Default Windows folders include AppData, Contacts, Desktop, Downloads, Favorites, Links, Saved Games, and Searches.

If the drive you are saving your backup on is formatted using the NTFS file system and has enough disk space, a system image of your programs, Windows, and all drivers and registry settings are also included in the backup. This image can be used to restore the contents of your computer if your hard drive or computer stops working. For more information, see What is a system image?

I wouldn't rely on the windows 7 backup & restore app to specifically backup your email. Move the storage folder
    to another partition and hard copy it to a USB thumb drive and or CD/DVD disk for safe keepnig. This should be done periodically.
    If you loose your os, you can always import everything back in when you set up your email client.
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

North Carolina, USA
    Hi Jim, and welcome to the Lounge!

Windows Backup by default backs up everything in every user profile on your hard drive, including the Appdata folder. Microsoft Outlook and Windows Live Mail both save email to the Appdata folder. If you want, you can click "Let Me Choose" when you begin a new backup to confirm this. Look under "Additional Locations" when you expand the selections.

It is also a good idea to keep more than one backup of data such as email, etc., as Clint suggested.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill