Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just re-installed Windows XP, but now cannot watch any videos because of missing codecs. Anyone knows what are the ones necessary? Any recommended codec pack, or is it better to download and install each one separately?

TIA

Thanks
    Hi rfe777,

I would go with a pack because it is less tedious. This codec pack covers a lot of ground.

Also, check out this link for Windows Media Player 11 codecs.

This download on CNET is a good one too.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi rfe777,

I have used this codec pack which covers a lot of ground. This Microsoft link lists supported codecs for Windows Media Player in XP.
    Thanks.

Do you know this codec pack?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rfe777 View Post
    Thanks.

Do you know this codec pack?
    I have not see it before, but it looks like it contains everything one would ever need. I'm glad to see it. Looks good to me!
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Download individual codecs if possible and only those that you are actually going to use.
    Many codec packs come loaded with junk and bloat. Some codec packs may even have adware.
    You will also need a separate DVD codec if I'm not mistaken, XP doesn't have a native DVD codec.

For AVI; XviD and DivX

For Music; Flac, APE
    , OGG

Installing only what you need helps limit conflicts.
    I also highly recommend Winamp for music playback.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    There is a lot to be said for installing only what you actually need. And XP does need a DVD codec to be able to view DVD movies unless a DVD player has been loaded by the computer manufacturer (which is obviously not the case here).

Rfe, the codec pack you referred to does contain one for DVD use. If you download the package, it would be wise to scan it with several malware tools just to be safe. Maybe there is a way to pick and choose individual codecs from the pack for installation. Clint makes a good point to consider.
    Deadeye81

Thanks
    Yep, I've been burned by bad codec packs before from an adware & malware standpoint.
    But if it's a well known and trusted pack you have in mind, there shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    As Gerald says, scan it first before installing.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Just down load the VLC;know as the VideoLan Player.NO need for any codec's @ all.Here's a link for it;VLC Player This program will play most anything you can think of. Enjoy
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten