Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hi everyone!

Ubuntu Linux 10.4 LTS is out now. Wanted to know if anyone has given it a whirl. I have downloaded the 32 bit ISO, but have not burned and installed yet. I always like to try the new release, but I never use it very much. My wife has a new Toshiba laptop, and she gave me her old one, a 1.6 Ghz Core Duo, XPMCE, 120 GB HD and 2 GB ram. I am thinking about wiping it and installing 10.4 LTS. I normally dual boot on an XP laptop just to play with the new release.

I have read that 10.4 LTS is excellent. Can anyone report one way or another yet?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi everyone!

Ubuntu Linux 10.4 LTS is out now. Wanted to know if anyone has given it a whirl. I have downloaded the 32 bit ISO, but have not burned and installed yet. I always like to try the new release, but I never use it very much. My wife has a new Toshiba laptop, and she gave me her old one, a 1.6 Ghz Core Duo, XPMCE, 120 GB HD and 2 GB ram. I am thinking about wiping it and installing 10.4 LTS. I normally dual boot on an XP laptop just to play with the new release.

[/I have read that 10.4 LTS is excellent. Can anyone report one way or another yet? ]
    Gerald Shepard,
    Hello, Haven't and have no plans to (don't like brown) but........ Linux Mint Isadora RC 9 has also been released http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1386 and plan to give "9" a try (soon as i can find the time) maybe it will help with my wireless problems... among others Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Hi Fred,

I did not know Mint Linux 9 RC was available now. Thanks for the info. By the way, whenever I install the latest Ubuntu to play with, I always enable Compiz so I can add eye candy to the GUI, and I also download a bunch of different wallpapers. I do this mainly so I don't have to look at brown all the time!

However to get the best effects, you have to enable the restricted video drivers.

Did you read my suggestion on Grandpa Bill's thread about your wireless issue? When I installed Linux Mint 8, they had two available proprietary drivers for me to choose. I hooked up the Ethernet cable and downloaded/installed one and it did not work. Then I removed it and downloaded/installed the other and bingo, it worked fine. Just a thought.
    Their forum should be helpful in this matter.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald,
    Hello, Thanks for the reply... My wireless problem is an intermittent (and crazy) one. been posting on mint for a while and..... no joy Seems some modems don't play nice with either Ubuntu or Mint. Also i have a lot to learn about Linux and command line interface.Check out The Mint "cosmos wallpaper" AWESOME The Screen shot is just one of them ( i have added them to my Vista Wallpaper slide show) Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    I have read that 10.4 LTS is excellent. Can anyone report one way or another yet?
    I downloaded the 32-bit 10.04 Live CD the day after it was released and tried it out. Was happy enough with it that I replaced Ubuntu 9.04 with 10.04 on my HP laptop (AMD 1.8Ghz, 4GB RAM). I had skipped 9.10 because it would not recognize my video card nor wireless card and thus did not offer to install proprietary drivers. Also, 9.10 had problems with my sound card. 10.4 offered to install the proprietary drivers and the sound works just fine. I am very happy with the update. By the way, my laptop dual boost Ubuntu and Windows 7.

One of these days I will also update my desktop to 64-bit 10.04.

By the way, the default color scheme in 10.4 is black (or dark grey) not brown.

Thanks
    Hi Peter, thanks for the heads up on 10.4! And I am glad to hear they have changed the default color scheme.

I think I may have to dual boot rather than dedicating the Toshiba wholly to Ubuntu. My wife still has SPSS 17 statistical software (the license on this software prohibits it being moved to a different computer) on it she does not want removed. The license expires in July, so that is my new window of opportunity to follow thru with my plan. As I don't want to wait that long, I'll go with dual boot for a while. I have never dedicated a laptop solely to a non-Windows OS, so that will be a new one for me. But I really do not need another Windows laptop.
    Deadeye81

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Besides dual booting, I also run VMWare Server 2 under Win7 with an Ubuntu client, works fairly well (the performance is much better than the XP client VM I also have set up). But I do tend to boot into Ubuntu on my laptop as often as I boot into Win7, but that is mainly because what I do on my laptop (browse the web, watch movies, etc) can be as easily done in Linux as in Windows. On my desktop I rarely boot into Linux because my typical activities (editing videos and photos, gaming) are not conducive to Linux.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran into a fairly significant glitch: my battery time is reduced by 33%. With 9.04 I got about 2 hrs of battery time. With 10.04 I get only 80 minutes. For the record, I get 2 hrs on Windows 7.

2 Star Lounger
    Warrington (Greater Manchester area)/Cheshire, UK
    Thanks
    I did a straight in-place upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04.

I am using a Toshiba Satellite 120Gb HDD with 2Gb RAM and I haven't seen any real issues yet.

The only issue I have seen so far is part of the "menu" bar at the top developing a bit of a snow effect. I shrug this off to the fact that I was in the processing of pooching my 9.10 installation and I was talking a lot of screenshots for an instruction manual when this situation occurred. So it could be just some stupid glitch somewhere which was potentially caused by myself.

I am fairly happy with 10.04 so far.

In fact, 10.04 surprised me the first time I logged in. It informed me that my battery may be part of the batch(es) of batteries which Sony recalled about 2 years ago.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Gerald, et al.
    I've been using Lucid 64 since 4/29 and generally liking it. Themes and wallpaper are easily changed. Installed Ailurus Ubuntu tweaker to help out with a few things so I didn't have to pop the hood, so to speak.
    Did an in-place upgrade from Karmic (which used to run as a vm under VirtualBox under Vista) which I moved to a new partition on a second drive. Smooth upgrade. Used Partition Magic and Drive Image XML running off a spare NTFS partition under a Reatogo boot CD to move stuff around. Took more time and fnorting around than I cared for, but painless for all of that.

Ubuntu is, at least for the moment (getting Civ4 withdrawal and can't get it running [yet?] under Wine) my sole OS - my Vista HP 64 lives only as an image. (My fault, tried to do too much at one time and munged it's partition....)

I've been running multi-boot setups since '04 with various OSes, and with virt machines since '06. It can be fun. Also frustrating. In general I'm increasingly impressed with the several newer, mostly mainstream, Linux releases, and particularly, for my needs, with Ubuntu. Hardware and networking have been no problem, and with Lucid, shutdown and startup are downright snappy.

After running mostly on Windows since '01 (Atari ST TOSes before that) I'm sad to say that despite missing two games (three, when Civ5 comes out), the 'comfort' of long association and accommodation, and keeping up on things to help out family, friends, and a few business folks, I'm probably going to make Ubuntu Linux my main OS.

Running on a budget home-build: Gigabyte mobo 780 chipset in a HAF 922, Phenom 9350, 8GB RAM, 4.1TB over four HDD.

I guess that I'd like all this a bit more with a better budget - and if I really knew what I was doing.

If one has a little time and some curiousity, I heartily recommend looking at and trying out stuff; today's utilities and virtual machine managers and such make it all pretty easy.

Cheers and good luck!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CfmJames View Post
    I did a straight in-place upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04.

I am using a Toshiba Satellite 120Gb HDD with 2Gb RAM and I haven't seen any real issues yet.
    What model Toshiba Satellite are you using? It sounds very similar to the one I plan to use with 10.4 (my specs are in the post 1). At one time I dual booted PCLinuxOS 2007 on another Toshiba and really liked that one. I removed it when the 2009 version came out, but I found I did not like that one as much.

I dual boot Mint LInux 8 with Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I like it, but like my previous experience with Ubuntu 9.10, it does not see my Windows PCs on my home network. I went through the changes required to see and share files with the Windows machines on the Ubuntu Forums, and everything worked well. I went through the same procedures for Mint Linux and I still cannot see my other computers. I am hoping 10.4 will be just as functional as 9.10 in this regard.
    Deadeye81

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kermidge View Post
    Hi, Gerald, et al.
    I've been using Lucid 64 since 4/29 and generally liking it. Themes and wallpaper are easily changed. Installed Ailurus Ubuntu tweaker to help out with a few things so I didn't have to pop the hood, so to speak.
    I've not heard of Lucid. What is that distro based on? Debian, Mandriva, or .....? I might need to expand my horizons and try Lucid.

And what is Ailurus Ubuntu tweaker? Have not heard of that either. Would it help me tweak things so I can see and share files with the Windows machines on my home network? I am having a little trouble with Mint Linux 8 in that regard, but maybe Ailurus would be risky on Mint since it is a modified Ubuntu.
    Deadeye81

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently installed ubuntu 10.004 on an old Toshiba 5005-S504. In trying to install from a 10.04 cd, the video would not work. However, I installed version 8.04 successfully and then upgraded to 10.04. The video works fine with the 10.04 upgraded from 8.04. The only thing that doesn't work is the PCI wi-fi card -- the computer is so old that it has no built-in wi-fi. However, the card, although recognized under Windows XP, would not connect to a network, so the problem may be the card as much as ubuntu.

I highly recommend ubuntu on old laptops like this one. Windows XP was taking so long to boot and programs ran so slowly, that the machine was essentially unusable. I was going to reinstall XP from recovery disks (and then have to install multiple service packs, etc.) to try to make it usable, but I figured it might end up being just as slow after all the service packs were added, so I decided to try ubuntu on it first. The machine now boots reasonably quickly and if great for (wired) internet access, e-mail, etc.

Bob

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all U'u users.

Just my 2¢ here. I also loaded U'u 10.04 but I will not use it other than as a toy. It will not recognize my two scanners, a Canon LiDE 100 and a 35mm *ION slide scanner. Too bad !

Nice of them to have this "non-installable" list, I now know that I am pursueing a lost game.

Have a nice summer Penguins !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oshel View Post
    I recently installed ubuntu 10.004 on an old Toshiba 5005-S504. In trying to install from a 10.04 cd, the video would not work. However, I installed version 8.04 successfully and then upgraded to 10.04. The video works fine with the 10.04 upgraded from 8.04. The only thing that doesn't work is the PCI wi-fi card -- the computer is so old that it has no built-in wi-fi. However, the card, although recognized under Windows XP, would not connect to a network, so the problem may be the card as much as ubuntu.
    Hi Bob, and welcome to the Lounge!

I realize from what you said that your wireless card may have a hardware issue, but have you checked out the Ubuntu forums to see if they have any information on your wireless card? Might be worth a shot. If so, if you need a working card, perhaps you can find one on eBay for next to nothing. I found an unused 3DFX 3000 video card on eBay for $15 when I rebuilt an old Pentium 2 desktop to play some vintage Glide API games such as Red Baron 3D.
    Deadeye81

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast