Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a command that will delete all headers/footers in a document that contains several sections?
    Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    No there isn't one built-in that I know of.

To do this by the interface in the fastest way possible you would need to:
    - Remove all the section breaks
    - Turn on the odd/even and first page different page layouts
    - Go to each of the three header and three footer possibilities and delete them
    - Reinstate the section breaks if necessary.
    - Reinstate the odd/even and fist page different page layouts

Its possibe that there are metadata cleaners which include this functionality but I don't use them so you would need to do some research to find out if that is an available feature.

You could also create a macro to do the same.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a similar situation. I have imported a WordPerfect doc into Word 2003/2007 and it brought along with it a unique header/footer with each page. I've worked with this document for a while and just noticed this peculiarity. It's got about 30 sections. I donít want to lose what Iíve done, but just normalize these headers/footers.

Using the reply above, how do I remove each section? I utilized the Remove Section option, but the unique section number remained on that page.

What am I missing?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The easiest way is to search and replace all the section breaks. Now if there is a possibility that a section break has been used to end a paragraph instead of an actual paragraph mark then you should replace the section breaks with a new paragraph mark. The steps are:
    1. Press Ctrl-H to open the replace dialog.
    2. Find ^b
    3. Replace ^p
    4. and then click on Replace All

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Andrew,

Great suggestion! However, I stil can't get my page numbers to work correctly. The page layout is set to mirror, so odd on right, even on left. When I try to set page numbers, nothing appears in the footer. I set page 1 to "i" and it's on the wrong side of the page. No subsequent page numbers (2 -> n) can be seen in the footers at all. Am I missing a setting?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Scott, which version of Word are you using?

If you get the page number appearing only in the footer of the first page then you need to check the page setup of the section is not set to "Different First Page". Each section of a document can have up to three headers and footers. In Word 2007's Ribbon, go to the Page Layout tab and click the tiny icon in the bottom right of the Page Setup group to open the Page Setup dialog. Now in the Layout tab, have a look at the settings for "Different odd and even" and "Different first page". If both are ticked then you will have three different footers.

To put a page number into a footer as a simple field, type Ctrl-F9 and type the word 'Page' inside the field braces and then press F9

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Word 2007. I have that option checked for a different first page. I have "different odd and even" also checked. The problem persists. There's no page number there at all. The tabs during "footer" mode indicate I'm doing the right thing, but no page #'s are there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In "Header/Footer" mode I have a "First Page Footer" label on page 1, "Odd Page Footer" for the 2nd page (!) [not an odd page] and "Even page footer" for the third page [not an even page], etc. No "page #" appears at all for page # on any page, all three boxes you noted are checked. The first page is always "odd", right? So wouldn't it figure that page 2 would always be "Even"? On "Page Number Format", the starting page # is blank.

When I select Page # and insert a page # nothing appears. I select "i" as a starting # for "First Page", but the rest of the page #'s after Page i are still blank.

What's up with that?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If both of those checkboxes are ticked then you have three footers and will need to do the same for each footer. It is simpler to turn both off and only show a single footer if you are struggling with concept of putting things into a footer.

Is it possible the text is being inserted as white text on a white background? I can't see what you are clicking so try the earlier suggestion of typing the field code directly into the footer and then formatting it the way you want it.

The first page is not always odd - you can get a section to start on a defined page number such as 0, 2, ii etc. But page 2 is going to be an even page number no matter how many pages appear before it.

It sounds like you are getting very confused by something quite straightforward in Word and we can't see what you are doing so it is hard to work out why this is going wrong for you. Perhaps some background reading would be useful for you. Have a browse around this website for background information that might clear things up for you. http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/pagenumbering.htm

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cox View Post
    In "Header/Footer" mode I have a "First Page Footer" label on page 1, "Odd Page Footer" for the 2nd page (!) [not an odd page] and "Even page footer" for the third page [not an even page], etc. No "page #" appears at all for page # on any page, all three boxes you noted are checked. The first page is always "odd", right? So wouldn't it figure that page 2 would always be "Even"? On "Page Number Format", the starting page # is blank.

When I select Page # and insert a page # nothing appears. I select "i" as a starting # for "First Page", but the rest of the page #'s after Page i are still blank.

What's up with that?
    Each header/footer, as long as it's unlinked from the previous one, must have its own text and page number field and formatting. Word has "file" page numbers and formatted page numbers. Particularly since you don't seem to have a page number in your later headers, the number you see at the bottom of the window is probably the file page number. (I think Word calls this the "Word page number.) Once you format the page number to be an odd number, Word will put the right header/footer with the page and insert a blank page before it if necessary.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, itís more complicated than this. Iím new to Word 2007, but Iíve used Word for many years and before that, I was a WordPerfect fan. (Actually, I still am, but thatís another story.) I converted the document in question from WordPerfect, edited, etc. in Word 2007. I then wanted to include it in another document to be published by an on-line company (LuLu.Com). I plopped it into the LuLu provided template which has all of these boxes checked and page layout established according to their requirements.

This is when I noticed that the page numbers were gone or all down one side. The template is supposed to mirror margins, page 1 on the right, etc. Iíve tried a bunch of tricks. I even noticed that the conversion had created sections every few pages. Iíve removed those using the suggestion above to search/replace.

I know that thereís a Page 1, Odd Page, and Even Page. I get that. Iíve certainly done page numbers before but this is really odd. Iím not a newbie, but itís got me stumped. Iím going to start over and see what happens.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you post a sample document so we can see what is going on? You can strip out all the body content as it is only the footer we need to see.

Thanks
    I converted the document in question from WordPerfect, edited, etc. in Word 2007. I then wanted to include it in another document to be published by an on-line company (LuLu.Com). I plopped it into the LuLu provided template which has all of these boxes checked and page layout established according to their requirements.
    So you probably need to start from scratch in the Lulu template and set up your headers and footers there again. Does that work?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It did. The conversion to the template worked fine this time. The page numbers are what they're supposed to be. I'm not sure what made the difference, but I'm glad it's over. Thanks to all for the help.

1. I eventually have to insert this document as an appendix into it's final destination; both have the same page layout. The inserted document needs to maintain its current pagination. I hope that holds too. Any advice here for making this move successful?

2. This template has a line between the body of the document and the footnote. How do I remove that line? I can't find a setting for it.

Thanks
    2. This template has a line between the body of the document and the footnote. How do I remove that line? I can't find a setting for it.
    Word calls that line the footnote separator and you can modify or delete it. The method may differ between versions of Word, so you could search for relevant instructions or poke around in the help file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast