Thread: Auto Printer

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I've looked all over the XP Help files and Google, but cannot find out why I have dual printers "installed" on my computer. Each printer has what I call a "normal" installation, but in addition there appears one labeled "Auto -- printer name". What in the world is the Auto printer? Also, in one case I cannot even delete the Auto printer even though I have full Administrator priveledges.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Auto <printer or writer document device> is just a device that has been installed without an actual manual install event, its an auto-install. So if you install a printer that's the manual install and if XP knows or thinks it knows about the device it will automatically install drivers from its own data base or maybe it gets some communication from the device itself. Happens especially over a network with shared devices in my instance, I get tons of auto this and that all the time, well, not so much any more but, just recently I picked up an Auto Microsoft XPS Document Writer connection in Printers and Faxes from a network computer after updating Office.

Its normal (if a bit cryptic) behaviour in case you're wondering if its anything malicious or harmful. Don't know why you wouldn't be able to delete one of them though. I hardly even notice them and sometimes I even use them.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input. Your experience is similar to mine. I was just curious where all of them came from.