New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

When Win 7 Professional first boots or restarts, I have no Internet connection. The fix is unwieldy but easy. Rt-click on the Connections icon on the System tray, choose Network and Sharing Ctr. and run the trouble shooter. The diagnosis is always the same: Local gateway not available. The solution is always the same: Reset the adapter. The trouble shooter executes this fix and I am connected until the next reboot.

Even when I am connected, the Connections icon shows a red X and says No Connections available. I am logged on as Administrator. My PC is connected directly to the cable modem -- no router.

Help anyone?

Sy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would suspect that your ISP's router is not playing nice with windows 7 IPV6.

Try going into "network and sharing center", click on "local area connection" in the middle right side of the page. In the box that pops up click "properties" uncheck the box beside "Internet Protocol Version 6" and see if it works.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I restarted Windows and lo! and behold, I had a connection. I was about to write you a congratulatory thankful message but within 30 seconds the connection was gone.

Here's a quicker fix than Win7's Troubleshooter. A small free app from Nirsoft called AdapterWatch (http://www.nirsoft.net/) releases and resets the IP address with one click.

So, if you, or anyone, has further insight into a solution to this problem, I'll gladly give it the old college try.

Thanks.

Sy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You wouldn't be able to beg or borrow a router from somebody to test with?

It is hard to tell if the problem is your machine or a problem with how the ISP is assigning IP addresses.

One thing you could try:

After you restart or lose connection, go to a command prompt and run ipconfig /all, If you have an IP address, try a

ping your.gateway.IP.address (replacing your.gateway.IP.Address with the actual gateway IP shown by ipconfig)

let us know if you have an IP and if you can ping when the network shows you are not connected.

Thanks
    Sounds like you need to,Update your ethernet card drivers.I know windows 7 installed the drivers but!The way it sounds they are not doing the job.You can d/l a FREE program to get all of your hardware info here;Hwinfo
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is nothing wrong with the network driver. If you do a search on the Internet, you will find that lots and lots of people have the same issue. It seems that Windows 7 does not play nicely with the non-MS DHCP server. Some people advised disabling nDNS using MSCONFIG if you have iTune installed. There are several others suggestions which does not work for me either. The connection would stay on for several hours some times, and would stay on for only a few minutes. It is all up to Windows 7. I think we have to wait till MS comes up with a fix.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    MercyH, thanks for your help and thanks to others who offered suggestions.

I did the ipconfig stuff and pinged the two default gateway addresses. Both addresses were not available and the packets were rerouted and received at another IP address. I did notice that IPv6 was being used, not IPv4.

I will set up my Cisco router next week and let you know the result. I am beginning to think there are too may variables involved -- Win7 64-bit, my ISP (Optonline), perhaps timing issues when the computer boots. I don't know why the system tray network icon always shows that I have no connection and that no connection is available -- even when I AM connected.

Best,

Sy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have spent the past two evenings reading forums, including Microsoft's. I see that many, MANY, have the same problem with Windows 7. I have tried a dozen user-suggested solutions. Some work for five minutes than fail again. Some don't work at all for me. I also see that this problem has been with Windows 7 since its beta days. It is something MS should have fixed. I hope a patch is coming.

Some have solved the problem by installing a Vista driver. For my hardware, Vista and Win7 share the same 64-bit driver.

In the meantime, I am tired of messing with this and will try to find inner peace. I am convinced, from all my reading, that updating drivers, changing esoteric configuration settings, enabling and disabling and on and on, will not produce a solution that *sticks.*

BTW, I have reconnected my XP computer. No problem there. IMNO (in my non-expert opinion) this is a Windows 7 problem that begs for a Microsoft solution.

Thanks to all who have tried to help.

Sy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    IMNO (in my non-expert opinion) this is a Windows 7 problem
    Beyond a doubt it is caused by Win7 features. I have run into it in various flavors on probably 10 networks. I have never had a situation that we could not eventually get stable. On some of them we had to turn off all the new win7 stuff in the network card settings. This turns off Windows 7 functionality such as Homegroups, network map, etc.

I don't really think it is exactly a Windows 7 bug as I think it has to do with how the "older" non windows DHCP server is interacting with Win7. I actually sent a request to the Windows Secrets newsletter that they publish a troubleshooting "howto" for this set of problems on Win7.

Remember that probably 98% of DHCP servers are running on linux that has been heavily modified to run on proprietary hardware and were setup long before IPV6 standards were finalized.

I have a set of steps I use but sometimes I cannot nail down what actually "fixed" the problem.

There are definitely times when it is easier to "live" with a problem using a workaround instead of spending hours trying to chase it down.