2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

INSIDER TRICKS

The absolutely safest way to upgrade to Win7

By Lincoln Spector

Few things are scarier than installing a new version of Windows — at least, few things you can do while sitting at a desk.

The safest route to a successful Windows 7 upgrade is a dual-boot configuration on your PC, letting your old OS and Win7 coexist during the transition.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/05/06/06 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 18:42.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The instructions say to drag the bootmgr files but don't say to where they are to be dragged. Did you mean "delete" instead of "drag?" Thanks.

At this point, you don't need to keep the original image you created before installing Windows 7. You are now ready to transfer your files:

* Boot Win7 and open two Windows Explorer windows one to C: and the other to D:.

* In either of them, click the Organize menu and then Folder and search options.

* Click the View tab, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended). Confirm and click OK.

* Drag the file bootmgr from D:\ and C:\. It's very important that you drag this file and only this file.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gates View Post
    The instructions say to drag the bootmgr files but don't say to where they are to be dragged. Did you mean "delete" instead of "drag?" Thanks.

At this point, you don't need to keep the original image you created before installing Windows 7. You are now ready to transfer your files:

* Boot Win7 and open two Windows Explorer windows — one to C: and the other to D:.

* In either of them, click the Organize menu and then Folder and search options.

* Click the View tab, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended). Confirm and click OK.

* Drag the file bootmgr from D:\ and C:\. It's very important that you drag this file and only this file.
    Hi Robert, and welcome to the Lounge!

I am currently using a dual boot XP and Win7 computer. I am in Windows 7 right now. I followed Lincoln's instructions on opening two instances of Explorer, one to C:\ (which is the root in Windows 7 when you are booted to Win7) and one to D:\ which is the root of XP. When the dual boot was first set up, bootmgr was moved from the root of the Windows 7 partition to the root of the XP partition in order for the dual booting to work correctly with the two OS'es.

Currently, the Windows 7 partition does not have bootmgr residing in the root, or in any other location. What Lincoln undoubtedly meant to type was to move the file bootmgr from the D:\ drive (XP) to the C:\ drive (Windows 7). The "and" was apparently a typo.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe my query may now be outdated as I just found the entire article here. The one in my Newsletter was corrupted. I'll post amyway.

I have a couple of questions/comments regarding this article.

1. In my Newsletter Figure 1 is missing. Where do I find it?
    2. I suppose this upgrade scenario is predicated upon one's PC to actually have sufficent hard drive space to actually install Win 7 while retaining Vista. If the space is not available what is the backup?
    3. Unless I missed it, if one succeeds in installing the dual boot upgrade what does one then do with the old Vista OS, uninstall it?

Thanks.