Lounger
    Thanks
    A friend migrated from an old XP PC to a new Vista PC. After moving the Outlook.pst file to the new PC every thing seemed fine until he tried to address a new email using the TO button to bring up his address book. He got a message saying "The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts Folder associated with his address list could not be opened; it may haqve been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions." After clicking OK or Cancel, the address list comes up empty and there was no Contact Folder specified for the Address Book. This is a problem many have had in moving Outlook from one PC to another. The problem has been associated with a corrupted profile. I created a new profile and made sure of the address book association with the Contacts folder. I associated the Profile with the outlook.pst file. Opening Outlook and addressing a new email, the same error occurred and an empty address book listing. I then added a new Outlook pst file and copied/moved email, contacts and Calendar to the new set of Personal Folders followed by removal of the old set of Personal Folders. Properties of the lone Contacts folder still showed the association with the Outlook Address Book. I figured the problem would be solved now. Wrong! The same thing happened again, but with a difference. After the error message the blank address book listing had "Contacts" in the Address Book field with a down arrow indicating other contact folders. It contained a total of three "Contact" entries. Selecting the second one gave an empty list but the third one showed all the entries! Go figure! There is only one Contacts folder, but three show up. How would one get rid of the two extra ones which show up but with no entries? He can get to the addressees in the third one, but has to put up with the initial error and then selecting the third Contact folder from the drop down. This is workable, but a pain in the b---. Any ideas on how to fix this, a registry fix perhaps? I made sure to keep his original profile and pst file, so could go back to the beginning and start again if need be.
    Don P
    Don Plorde

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A rather thorny issue, and I have no glib answer. It seems to depend on your version of Outlook - XP was the first generation with the problem.
    First try and copy your original pst into the location of the new one created by the new Outlook installation. Occasionally this works.
    Otherwise try fiddling in this area

To enable Contacts as an Address Book, right click Contacts and then left click Properties/Outlook Addresss Book
    To select order of contacts folders click Address Book/Tools/Options
    To remove a contact list, click Tools/Email Accounts/Directory/Change,
    If there are two Outlook contacts’ folder, right click – properties – outlook address book tick/de-tick the box that says ‘use as an address book’

Hope that helps
    Andy