Thanks
    Seagate 500GB SATA external drive connected via USB2.

It is partly dead, but like a zombie, it walks!

This is a backup drive, connected to USB via a SATA adapter. It's been working fine for some months. All of a sudden my XP SP3 machine refuses to recognize it.

It spins up when power is applied but other than that, nothing. Usually the red led in the adapter plug starts blinking a few seconds after the usb cable is connected and then the drive appears in the file manager. But this drive...not.

The adapter is fine...a second identical Seagate HD is detected without problems.

I used Hard Disk Sentinel to scan for the missing drive. It notes there is a USB device connected but there is no other info listed, as there is with "good" drives.

It's also listed in Device Manager as a USB drive, shown as working ok but no other info.

Scanning the drive with various recovery progs is not possible because they can't access what's on the drive.

Any ideas/suggestions extremely appreciated!!!
    Half frog, half man, but which half?

Thanks
    Plug the SATA drive into your motherboard instead of USB and run chkdsk on it or spinrite.
    From boot of course.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Download the Seagate disk test program and run the diags. It will tell you all you need to know.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanks Clint and Paul,

I'd assumed that if this HD was not fully visible to the OS (no data in or out), any software-based diagnostics or Spinrite would be unworkable, whether within the OS or in DOS mode.

I'll try both

John

Thanks
    Hitching the problem drive to a sata port did nothing, as I expected. No data in, no data out.

Using Seatools and Spinrite was useless since neither could recognize the drive in DOS.

I suspect, since the drive is spinning, that it's something on the drive's interface PCB that's the problem.