Thread: Magnifier

Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I kill the Magnifier program? Has anyone found any use for this feature?

Thanks
    Hi Fireman,

What do you mean by "kill" ? The Magnifier program should not run unless you click to execute it. It is one of the programs in Ease Of Access in Control Panel. It is included in Windows to help folks who are visually impaired.

If you have accidentally started Magnifier, just click on the magnifying glass. This will allow you to click the red x close button to shut it down. If it is starting when you start Windows, then check MSConfig. If there is a listing there just uncheck it and that should do it.

Also check the Start menu | All Programs | Startup folder to see if it is listed there. If it is, just delete it.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wouldn't say it is only for people who are visually impaired. There is nothing wrong with my eyesight and I find frequent use for it. Well, perhaps not 'frequent' but occasional. I have a large, high resolution monitor (24" set at its native resolution of 1920 x 1200) and it is common to find web sites where the site designer must have designed everything to fit on a 14" monitor with no provision to allow the image to be expanded with the 'zoom' facility and not even a facility to allow the browser to alter text size. Here is a good example from Adobe. https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/sto...catID=SPECIALS

I don't know how they expect to sell anything if this is the best they can do. The page occupies approximately half my monitor width and the text is uncomfortable to read at my normal working distance. This is not an unusual problem when working with a monitor such as mine. Even some "Gadgets" are very difficult to see. Usually an application allows one to adjust the zoom magnification factor and/or text size. Even most web sites allow such adjustments and my normal browser is set to 150% by default negating the need to do anything in most cases. Some designers are idiots and insist everything must be untouchable such as the Adobe site. In these cases, the Magnifier is very valuable.

Thanks
    Hello Chet,

I never said Magnifier was only for the visually impaired. What I said pertained to Microsoft's motivation for including it in the Windows OS, and was written in answer to both of Fireman's questions . I agree it does have broader application.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    it is common to find web sites where the site designer must have designed everything to fit on a 14" monitor with no provision to allow the image to be expanded with the 'zoom' facility and not even a facility to allow the browser to alter text size.
    Too common, but instead of using a magnifier, I go into Internet Properties (for I.E.)>Accessibility>and check Ignore font sizes specified by webpages. Then I use Cntrl>MiddleScroll (or View>Text size) to chage font size at will.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    Too common, but instead of using a magnifier, I go into Internet Properties (for I.E.)>Accessibility>and check Ignore font sizes specified by webpages. Then I use Cntrl>MiddleScroll (or View>Text size) to chage font size at will.

Both IE and FF allow Ctrl key and + or - to change font size on the fly as well. Hit Ctrl and (+) to increase the font (2 or 3 times are allowed) Hit Ctrl and (-) to decrease font size.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Changing text size is not good enough. Usually, changing text size will cause it to overflow the space allocated by the designer, possibly overflowing into other text. Further, adjusting text size (regardless of how it is done) will not affect text that is within an image nor will it appropriately adjust an image or field within the window. What is really needed is something like IE's zoom feature that will (usually) adjust the whole page content including text but also allowing text size to be separately adjustable. There is always some idiot, like the Adobe site designer that I referenced above, who will defeat all attempts to make the page acceptable. I can find no way to make any adjustments to the Adobe text or frame size. Like much of what Adobe does, there is only one way and that is their way and they won't be swayed by reality.