New Lounger
    Thanks
    Though Word is not a program I have a lot of experience with, I have created a customizable flyer for a client that contains images, some body copy and a table. I have set document protection so that only a portion of the document can be edited by the user. The file has been opened on a PC and saved down to Word 97-2004. The file size is under 1 MB.

When the user modifies the document (they may customize a headline, contact information and/or add logo) and then saves the changes, the document size jumps up to 6 MB and a logo has not even been added at this point. I was told that this is called "Word Ghosting" and that I need to avoid it...obviously, if I new what it was I would've avoided it. Can anybody clue me in? Help is very much appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There are several possible things that may have caused the file size to jump like this. The most likely are:
    1. The file contains jpg images that were double-clicked in Word. In the older versions of Word this would have the effect of converting the JPG into a BMP which is a very inefficient way to store bitmaps. I don't know whether this is still the case with Word 2007+ but it could be.
    2. The original file was saved as docx but editing it with an older version converted it to doc. The newer versions file sizes are more efficiently packed.
    3. Revisions are being tracked

You might also want to check the versions of Word that were used to originally create the document and then the versions used to edit it. If there is a difference then that might also be responsible for the change.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To add to Andrews list of possiblitites...

In a version prior to Word 2007, make sure that FastSaves is disable (the work of the devil herself)
    Make sure that Versions has not been enabled: in its early guise, once versions has been enabled, the doc can never be properly turned off or cleaned up with copying all to a new blank document.
    The default file compression is set differently.
    The file has been corrupted. Try copying all but the final paragraph mark and pasting into a new blank document.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another possibility is that fonts are being embedded in the document; this can cause a substantial increase in file size. In Word 2007, look in Options > Save.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the responses. I hope I can fix the problem with these suggestions!