New Lounger
    Thanks
    My friend has a new windows 7 pc that has been running fine. We were on the win 7 pc and she asked me to do something which involved the control panel. I had the control panel icon on the task bar. I clicked on it and nothing happened. I could hover the mouse over the control panel icon and I got the small pop up window showing me the control panel but when I clicked on that window to expand the control panel nothing happened. I tried other icons like windows explorer and IE and they all opened fine.

I booted into safe mode and control panel opened fine. My friend said she hadn’t done anything to the pc lately except a Weatherbug weather gadget that was on her screen. Which I later closed but that didn’t seem to help.
    Obviously when I was in safe mode it worked so something between safe mode and win 7 is the culprit but I looked in msconfig and didn’t see anything that I didn’t recognize and I don’t know what was there before this issue so I didn't know what to turn off. My friend would rarely use control panel so she had no idea when it worked the last time.

I ran fixwin, tried to fix any piece that I thought might affect control panel. I tried to disable aero peek and not sure I was ever able to but other programs worked. I turned off her antivirus and firewall, tried using RUN and typing in control.exe and could not find a way to ‘open’ control panel. I right clicked on the control panel icon on the task bar and chose Maximize, Restore, move, size…no luck.

I did notice sometimes if I hovered the mouse over the control panel pop up window –I could see a blank frame on the desktop screen like the control panel opened but was transparent. I again tried to disable aero and couldn’t find a way to actually turn it off because any settings were related to control panel and I couldn’t get into control panel.

I was tempted to do a system restore but the most recent system restore was just 24 hours earlier so the odds on that fixing it were slim.

I feel it’s an aero peek type issue – some “hide control panel window” box is checked somewhere. Again other icons on the task bar work fine it’s just control panel that doesn't open on screen.

I’ve googled and searched the Lounge at Windows secrets but haven’t found this issue.

Can you please help?

Thanks
    Remove the "control panel" icon from the taskbar and access it through the start menu, or short cut it through the desktop.
    As far as I can tell, "control panel" will not alow itself to be "pin to" the taskbar.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    This method may help to pin the Control Panel to the taskbar. I have not tried it because I have no desire to do this. I prefer using the control panel displayed as a menu on the Start Menu. Simply right click on the Start Button and choose Properties. On the Start Menu tab, click on customize, then under Control Panel click Display as a menu. This works great for me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted: thanks for that suggestion but I can't access control panel from the start menu, from the run menu or any other way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Tomaro View Post
    Ted: thanks for that suggestion but I can't access control panel from the start menu, from the run menu or any other way.
    Like I mentioned, Right Click the Start Button and select properties, then on the Start Menu tab select Customize. In this window select all the items you wish to display in the start menu. As also mentioned I choose to display the Control Panel as a menu.

If you can not access Control Panel at all, there is definitely a problem with the installation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Rick,

If you have not tried this, click Start and type in the search field Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows and click on it if it appears in the search list. If you are able to get to it, you can cut off Aero, transparency, etc. to see if it has any impact on the issue.

Also, are there any third party Control Panel applets installed? If she has installed any software in the past that placed an applet in Control Panel and has not since had reason to bring the Control Panel up that could be a possible place to look.

In Safe Mode, only generic drivers are loaded for your hardware. It could be that a driver needs to be updated such as video or other.

Because there is such limited functionality in safe mode, some Control Panel applets may not run as they normally do in normal Windows mode, which might explain why Control Panel starts in safe mode. To test for a corruption in one of the applets, while booted in normal mode go to C:\Windows\System32 and enter a search for "*.cpl" (without the quote marks) and double click on each applet. If you find one that does not want to run, rename it (or temporarily move it) and see if Control Panel is then responsive.

If none of the above help, then run cmd (command prompt, under Accessories in the Start | All Programs menu) by right clicking it and selecting Run as Administrator and type in "sfc /scannow" without the quote marks, but include the space between the c and the /. This may take some time but it will check your system files for integrity and will replace any it finds to be corrupt or missing. Hopefully it will not be necessary to reinstall Windows.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll try it and let you know..
    thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald: I wasn't able to go over there but she was able to type in Adjust..etc and bring up the screen. Funny part is she doesn't have enable aero peek or enable transparent glass on that screen like I do. So that's strange. But I won't be able to try anything else as they'll be gone for a week. I'll try your other options when they get back.

Thanks
    R

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All: my friend is back and she says her control panel is working. She says that when they moved the win 7 pc before she was having this problem, they connected both the vga nnd the dvi connectors to the monitor. She says that when her son disconnected one of them...not sure which..the control panel started working immediately. I'm not going to be able to verify this immediately but it's worth reporting as this post has gotten quite a few views which could mean others are having a similar problem and maybe this will help someone else.

If I can replicate the problem I'll post that.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions

Rick

Thanks
    Aha, graphics cards causing problems. This is a regular problem child it seems. Thanks for posting back.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    It sounds very much like the control panel window had been dragged of the main desktop.

There is a keyboard shortcut that can be used in these circumstances.

Firstly make sure the window is active by clicking it on the task bar, then click ALT+Spacebar then the letter 'M'. Then use the keyboard arrow keys to hopefully move the window back to the main desktop.