New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have searched this forum and found a possible answer to the problem but another answer suggested that the first action should not be necessary. I was unable to find the final answer.
    I have two xp-sp3 computers networked. I can see and share files between both computers when the files are in fat32 partitions. I cannot see ntfs partitions even though they have been marked to be shared. (That's probably the wrong terminology but..) The suggestion I saw was to install NETBEUI to both (?) machines. Also, it was suggested that both machines should have the same user,password active. Will this work? Is this the only option. Thanks for any help.
    Bob

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The most likely reason is your remote user does not have permission to view the NTFS directories/files - NTFS has user permissions, FAT32 does not.
    Right click on a folder and select Sharing and Security.
    Add the user "everyone" and give them read rights, then try again.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    PT, Thank you for the suggestion. Unforunately Everyone already had full control, change and read allow. Any other suggestions anybody?
    Bob

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OOPS, That should have been to Paul instead of PT.
    Bob

New Lounger
    Thanks
    By default, the root of the NTFS partition may be shared as C$. The '$' after the share-name makes the share hidden.

Ensure there is no '$' after the share name, and the folder should show up.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As PT said, this is a permissions issue. I'm assuming that these machines are all in a workgroup and not part of a Windows domain. I have had this very issue. Make sure that they are all part of the same workgroup. Right click on My Computer and select Properties. Then click on the Computer Name tab. It will also tell you the workgroup the computer belongs to. If they are different, make them all the same. You will be asked to reboot after making the change. The second piece of this is user accounts. Make sure that all the machines have the same user accounts set up on them. In my case, I had to set up a "Chuck" account on each machine with the same password. Now no more file access or printing issues. Let us know what works for you. We all learn from one another.
    Chuck