2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File is being shared (not) (2000)

I was working in Excel with two files copy from one and pasting to another. Then I got a memory violation notice (Windows 2000) and was told the application would be shut down. When I re-started Excel it now tells me that both files are being shared by me. I can open them as read only. Other than renaming them are there any solutions? What causes it?

TIA
    Bret

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File is being shared (not) (2000)

Normally, problems like these are solved by restarting your system. Both files are still labelled as in use by Windows. A restart normally solves that.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have this problem a lot (Desktop W98, Word document with embedded graphs from Spreadsheet held on Novell 4.1 server). I find that a shutdown does not always cure this. I have to shutdown and NOT access the file again for around 20 minutes. This time is not fixed and if I really need into the spreadsheet quickly I have to reboot the server (this always works).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When this happens in Win98, you can hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and close Excel from the running task list. This usually solves the problem for me. Not sure about Windows 2000...

Not entirely certain about what causes it...Excel is usually still running after it happens, even though it is not visible, it still runs in the background.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone. The file is now able to be used. This was as suggested after the system was shutdown and restarted.

Thanks again.