New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a puzzling problem I'm hoping to get some help with. We have several computers in the home, most of which are running Win7 currently. My husband's computer has not yet been upgraded from Vista, however. The printer is attached to my Win7 machine (an HP Photosmart C5580), and shared over the network, and up until recently everything was working fine. As of late he has been unable to print pictures directly from Windows. He can print documents just fine, and if he opens the picture in an application, it will print. But he has lost the ability to right-click a photo, pick a size, and print it. It appears to print, and receives no error messages. It simply never appears in the printer. I've removed and re-added the printer, but am not sure what else to try. It seems to me that this occurred around the time I upgraded my machine to Win7, and I'm wondering if I've missed something on my end, or they just aren't playing nice any more or something. Suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Thanks
    Very well could be the application itself.Uninstall the application with revo uninstaller here's a link;Revo It's FREE
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The method he is trying will always go to the default printer.
    Make sure that the default printer is this shared one.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is only one printer, and it is listed as the default on his computer. Not sure what Ron meant by 'the application itself'. We are having trouble printing within Windows itself. If he opens the picture in any application then it prints fine. It's right-clicking the file in explorer and trying to print from there that's giving us a problem. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try rebooting his machine, it just may need a fresh connection to your machine with the printer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This has been going for a week or two, so rebooting isn't helping. Thank you. Am beginning to wonder if he's just out luck.

Thanks
    @Terri

Have you tried uninstalling the printer (from the Vista machine) and then adding the printer again?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The printer is attached to my Win7 machine
    Then you might have to setup Homegroup on your 7 machine

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer, per my original post, but no luck. Homegroup won't be any help, as it doesn't work with Vista and only applies to the Win7 machines in the network, as I understand it. I do have Homegroup set up in any event, to easily share files amongst the other machines.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terri Bacon View Post
    Have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer, per my original post, but no luck. Homegroup won't be any help, as it doesn't work with Vista and only applies to the Win7 machines in the network, as I understand it. I do have Homegroup set up in any event, to easily share files amongst the other machines.
    I would say that Homegroup is what's defeating "print from within Windows" from the Vista machine, since you said that you seem to remember that this started happening when you upgraded your machine (to which the printer is installed) to Windows 7. Files can be shared without Homegroup by designating shared folders on each machine, or you can leave Homegroup as it is and he can open an app to print pictures.

I dual boot XP on a couple of my machines (I skipped Vista entirely). I'll boot into XP and check a few things. If I turn up anything useful I'll get back to you.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I see now Homegroup is only 7. MS trying to force 7 on as many as they can, go figure

Thanks
    When I first installed Windows 7 on the desktop (where my printer is intalled), my laptop would print from XP. I had not setup Homegroup. After I upgraded my laptop to Windows 7, I also setup Homegroup. Printing worked just fine. I still use XP on the laptop from time to time, but I haven't had any need to print.

Today I booted into XP and tried to print an image file, got an error message "failed to print". My laptop can see the printer across the network, but it cannot print to it from within XP. When I'm booted into Windows 7 I can print from the laptop normally. I can open the Printer Properties when booted into XP, look at everything, but it won't print a test page.

So I'm still suspecting that Homegroup has something to do with the printing issue. I don't have a Vista machine to pursue this any further. Perhaps someone else has that combination of PC's and can step in here.

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would redo the networking of the Windows 7 machine and set it up to use the "Workgroup" networking.
    The use of this "Homegroup" is doing nothing but causing issue on a mixed OS network.
    I would stay completely away from it until one has nothing but Windows 7 machines.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That sounds like it might actually be the problem. I will try that today. Thank you!