2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm a longtime member and finally I am going to ask a question because I just can't figure this out, or am missing
    something or just old and blind. The basics, I'm running a new HP Win7, 64bit with a Western Digital external harddrive.
    I created a disc image, rescue disc and have drive D with factory image back when it was brand new in January.

The problem:
    I am trying to use the Backup and Restore in the Control Panel to maintain a current system update.
    Currently I have it automatically set to backup once a week and have it backed up to my WD external harddrive.
    After the update when I open my external harddrive I see a folder icon created, James-PC and when I check it the
    folder is empty. Even if I do a manual backup, the system goes thru it's backup procedure and when completed
    I check the folder and same thing, empty. I don't even see an option in Backup and Restore to select only
    certain files to backup rather than the entire system. I've deleted the James-PC folder and tried again, again it
    creates a James-PC folder and its empty. These backup's do change the total amount of free space used.
    What am I missing? Shouldn't I be seeing all my files and folders and whatnot in this backup folder?

Thanks
    I was also having problems with the Win 7 back up routine. This seems to be a pretty basic app. I have switched to Acronis True Image Home 2010. Newegg has a great price after rebate. Also Macrium Reflect is a free 3rd party app that has gotten good reviews. I would try a 3rd party app over Win 7 Back up.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by James S View Post
    I'm a longtime member and finally I am going to ask a question because I just can't figure this out, or am missing
    something or just old and blind. The basics, I'm running a new HP Win7, 64bit with a Western Digital external harddrive.
    I created a disc image, rescue disc and have drive D with factory image back when it was brand new in January.

The problem:
    I am trying to use the Backup and Restore in the Control Panel to maintain a current system update.
    Currently I have it automatically set to backup once a week and have it backed up to my WD external harddrive.
    After the update when I open my external harddrive I see a folder icon created, James-PC and when I check it the
    folder is empty. Even if I do a manual backup, the system goes thru it's backup procedure and when completed
    I check the folder and same thing, empty. I don't even see an option in Backup and Restore to select only
    certain files to backup rather than the entire system. I've deleted the James-PC folder and tried again, again it
    creates a James-PC folder and its empty. These backup's do change the total amount of free space used.
    What am I missing? Shouldn't I be seeing all my files and folders and whatnot in this backup folder?
    Can't say for sure as I can see mine, however, I have all my machines set to "show hidden files and folders" which may be your problem..??..

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And Ted can apparently type faster then I can.

I do not have Acronis but have been playing with Macrium Reflect and it works very well.

Thanks
    I think I must have started a few seconds ahead of you. I'm a hunt and peck typer.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using Acronis since it first came out. It has been very reliable and easy to use.

My backup strategy is as follows:

I have three hard drives - 2 are in removable drive bays and the third is an external USB/ESATA drive.
    All drives are 500gb. The C drive is always i use. The other drive in the removable drive bay is
    powered off during daily use of the computer.

1. I do a full drive backup of my C drive (Win 7 64 bit) - Not a clone. I backup to the external drive.
    2. I turn on my second drive in the removable drive bay, Turn off my C drive, put in the Acronis
    boot cd and Restore the image from the external drive to the just powered up second drive.
    3. At completion of restore, I remove the boot CD and boot the machine from the second hard drive
    in the removable bay to verify that in fact the restore was successful.
    4. Shut down the PC, turn off the second drive, turn on my C drive and boot.

This does a few things for me.

1. It verifies that the backup on the external drive is readable and able to be restored.
    2. It provides me with an image of my C drive on the external drive.
    3. It provides me with a bootable system drive in the event my C drive fails. I just turn off
    the C drive, turn on the second drive and boot up. Takes 1 minute to recover from a failed drive.

Total time to backup and restore my C drive and test restored drive is usually about 30 minutes.
    Asus H170 Motherboard, 16gb of memory, Intel 6700K cpu, Mac OSX Sierra on Virtual Box and VMware, 4 SSD's.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the answers guys. I have show all folders enabled but that was not my problem, I could open other folders in it. I'll just keep playing around with it. I hate to pay for any program with the abundance of free stuff out there so I will take Gizmo Richards article on the best freeware out there and give his recommendation, Macrium Reflect a try.