New Lounger
    Thanks
    At my holiday house (live in Australia) which hasnt got any landline at present, so I am accessing the internet on my laptop within a free unsecured wifi zone to log on, it is only used to do occasional browsing and read emails (no secure type work) however my house is right on the edge of this free wifi zone and I only get a speed of between 2 and 11 mbps, sometimes nil depending on weather conditions.

I was wondering if by locating a wifi repeater, (such as a wifi yagi antenna which I can get on ebay) or would an antenna booster of some description work. My laptop as far as I am aware doesn't have facility to plug in any external anntenna

If anyone can advise how I can get a better reception I would be grateful.

Alan

Thanks
    This may give you some ideas.
    Give your flagging WiFi signal a boost
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The biggest problem it is not my wifi unit, it is a free unit that is setup I think by government to assist locals in country to access internet. I am after something which I can set up that is stand alone that can collect signal boost it and repeat it to my laptop.

Hope I am clear what I am after.

Alan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Could you give us more information in regard to your current setup? i.e. laptop and WiFi card that is in use?

My thoughts initially are to change out the current WiFi which I assume is the built in adapter on the laptop for a USB dongle which supports external connections to hook up an antenna which you may mount externally but you would want to keep the cable length short as you'll lose signal rapidly. But this depends if you need laptop portability?

Depending on the supply of the source (is it encrypted, WEP/WPA1/2 etc) you may also use a WiFi Access Point which supports repeater mode to do what you wish with the external antenna.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know what is available in Australia but in the USA I would use the following access point: http://www.ubnt.com/nanostationloco
    mounted outside the building, pointing at the source. I would then bring a cable in to the laptop (or to a wireless access point in the house).

These units run about $50 USD in the US and have very good range. You would connect it to the hotspot and then bridge it into your home network.

In the US the "Flying J" truck stops hand these out out to their trucker customers to connect to the free Flying J WIFI. Some truckers report of connecting from up to 8 miles away.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up mercyh,

I did a little bit of looking around and see they are distributed in Australia which is great because I assumed they might not be within Australia standards/laws.

Alan,

I would definitely get in contact with this store and see if they are knowledgeable and can assist in your situation.The units look good on first looks and look quite reasonably priced considering a decent quality 10db antenna would be $150AUD minimum by itself. Nifty is the fact they can utilise POE (Power over Ethernet) too which can simplify things when mounting externally (outside house).

Best case scenario would be if you are able to secure a unit on a money back guarantee if it does not work well. Some stores are quite OK with this if they have demo stock and are customer orientated.

http://store.comnet.com.au/cat/36024.html

http://www.ubnt.com/purchase/australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Mercyh and Josh, I am down at holiday house at moment and have only a couple of mbps so I will enquire when I get home after weekend, sound like what I am after. Any other solutions would be gratefully appreciated

Josh will answer about laptop config after I get back also.

Thanks guys

Alan

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Whirlpool may be the place to ask, try this thread.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I have fixed my problem. I purchased off ebay a long range high sensitive external antenna (gsky) which plugs into a usb port. After turning off the internal wireless mode and config the external antenna I was able to triple my signal strength and speed at my holiday house. Dont need to use it at home as I have a secure network so just leave it at holiday home

All working okay but will continue to monitor as it may have just been good weather conditions but if it continues to receive good reception and speed, problem solved

Thanks to those that reponded with their thoughts

Alan

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad to here you got it working. If I understand what you purchased, I think it is an external USB access point. These work great in the situation where you have only one computer that needs the connection.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes mercyh it is a USB access point antenna and yes it only works on the computer that it is connected to, which suited me fine if my wife takes her laptop we just plug it into hers (only need one comp. going at any one time

Alan