New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I have probably been lazy by not doing a search first but I have done lots of searches every where else and just got lazy. WIn 7 pro installed on two semi newer DELLS one a precision 690 and the other a latitude D820 although I don't think it matters from what I've read. When set to hibernate or the lowest power consumption I get BSODs all the time and if I let them run on best performance then I don't get them. I tried a hotfix a while back but not joy. Anyone found a fix or a work around other than telling the systems to stay awake etc? Both system came with Vista and XP of course the Vista disks made nice xmas tree decos. LOL
    thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelton Leslie View Post
    Sorry, I have probably been lazy by not doing a search first but I have done lots of searches every where else and just got lazy. WIn 7 pro installed on two semi newer DELLS one a precision 690 and the other a latitude D820 although I don't think it matters from what I've read. When set to hibernate or the lowest power consumption I get BSODs all the time and if I let them run on best performance then I don't get them. I tried a hotfix a while back but not joy. Anyone found a fix or a work around other than telling the systems to stay awake etc? Both system came with Vista and XP of course the Vista disks made nice xmas tree decos. LOL
    thanks

We actually could use the actual DMP file created in the crash. Usually located in C:\windows\minidump. If not there you can search for *.DMP. with that we can tell you the cause

Ken Johnston
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you checked to see if there is a BIOS update for the machines?

Do you have Windows 7 drivers for all your hardware?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you leaving any programs running? I have found several software programs that do not work well with power management and hibernation. The only work around to is is to make sure everything is closed when I walk away, or hibernate the machine.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ken, thanks I found the directory but it's empty. maybe a service turned off of some such? Any ideas on how to get that up and running so I can pass it along?

No new BIOS updates and as far as I can tell I am using the latest drivers. DELL doesn't have win 7 drivers for these just Vista.

Yep, I leave apps running that's one of the ideas of hibernation and sleep mode otherwise I would just shut it down. Outlook 7 and Firefox are usually running all the time.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Unfortunately if you don't have Windows 7 drivers that may be the cause.

Have you checked the various manufacturers sites for Windows 7 drivers?

Have you checked all the various hardware connections inside the PCs?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I guess I partly agree about the desire to leave apps open, but for me the biggest reason for using hibernation is the fast boot up time. My apps open plenty fast, so that's not really an issue. Firefox doesn't cause me a problem, so I often leave it running. I don't use OL at home so I can't say is that one is a problem or not. Just for grins, close everything up and see if that makes any difference. At least it would help eliminate that as a problem. However, that doesn't rule out A/V or some other memory resident program.

BTW, the two that seem to cause me problems are Sun Virtual Box & Bibble 5 Pro (a RAW photo conversion tool). I'll leave other things open, like I said FF, PhotoShop, Open Office, and other things. So long as I close Virtual Box and Bibble, I don't have any problems.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for the input and you're right I can try closing OL and anything else to see if that helps. AVG and the acronis timers etc I will need to leave running ,or I should say will probably leave them running. I wonder what service etc I edited or set to manual that stopped the log? I would like to get that up and running just for tshooting then probably turn it back to manual or off again. I guess I will need to do some work on my own. LOL