New Lounger
    Thanks
    With my XP Pro SP3 I cannot download files from any web site except at Windows update site. While at and on a web site and clicking on a file to download I get a message saying "Internet Exsplorer cannot download (file name)". Internet Exsplorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later. I went to a month old backup but it has the same problem. My main concern is that I cannot keep my anti-virus and malware programs updated. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What version of IE are you using?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, I am using IE8. Everything else on my computer is working fine and I had made no changes when down loads stopped working.

Thanks
    This site explains a possible solution to your dilema. The writer seemed to have a very similar problem that is resolved in detail. I hope this works for you. His problem involved a corupted index.dat file and explains his solution to this coruption.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted for your suggestion but I ran into problems trying to follow instrutions numbers 10 &11 on the web site you sent me to. Number 10 is especially confusing for this 76 year old man and I was unable to follow and complete instruction number 10.

Sonny

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Conn View Post
    Thanks Ted for your suggestion but I ran into problems trying to follow instrutions numbers 10 &11 on the web site you sent me to. Number 10 is especially confusing for this 76 year old man and I was unable to follow and complete instruction number 10.

Sonny
    1) Open Internet Explorer.
    2) Click on Tools, Click on Internet Options
    3) On the General tab under Temporary Internet Files, click on Delete Files
    4) Click Ok when it asks if you want to delete the files
    5) Under the History section on the General tab, click Clear History, then click Ok
    6) Close Internet Explorer
    7) Log off the current user and Log onto another user account such as Administrator
    8) Click on Start, Run
    9) Type CMD and Press Enter to open a command prompt

While in the cmd prompt:

10) Change directories to the Temporary Internet Files directory by typing the following command, substituting the correct drive letter and the word username with the correct user in Windows XP.cd drive:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Example: cd c:\Documents and Settings\Mark\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

This is your primary drive, generally C: If you look in Windows Explorer you should see the drive letter that needs to be here.

This would be the name you assigned to your UserName (Perhaps yours is Sonny or something similar) If you look in Windows Explorer you should see the name to place here

Make sure you put the space shown after cd

11) type del index.dat and press Enter

again make sure you include the space after del. This will delete your original index.dat file. This will be remade by Windows

12) Type Exit and press Enter to close the command prompt
    13) Restart your computer

Once the computer has been restarted, open a web page with a link to a download. Click on the link and try to download the file. It should now work.

I hope this helps explain the command a little better.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted for getting me past the problem I was having with the instructions. I still cannot download web site files so think I will reinstall XP.

Thanks
    Sorry, this looked like a possibility, but sometimes it takes less time to reinstall than sort out a problem. Good Luck. At least you now have a better understanding of the command prompt.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted