2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to install a WD Caviar Black 750G HD into a factory built Gateway FX 530 with an Intel 975X Viiv system board. The OS is XP Media Edition, SP 2.
    The two factory installed 500G HDs used SATA connections 2 and 3. I moved them to 0 and 1, connected the new HD to SATA 2 and connected STA 3 to an iSATA-to-eSATA bridge.
    I expected the new HD to show up as plug-and-play but it doesn't. I can't see it at all.
    The BIOS HD setup selects RAID, but I haven't set RAID up on the machine. I have the same problem selecting IDE in the BIOS.
    I have an identical HD in an Antec external powered enclosure that shows up with the bridge connection when I power it up, although the computer reboots when I power it off.
    I've checked the data cable and it's OK. The case is built for 3 internal HDs, with the appropriate power connector.
    I can't veryify the HD spins up, but it is new and I expect it is OK too.
    Any thoughts before I pull it out and try something else?
    Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you plug the disk into an internal SATA port? Might be worth connecting it as the only disk and then go into the BIOS set up - it should show up.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's where I started. What if the BIOS is just not detecting it?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check this out (clipped from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA):

Advanced Host Controller Interface
    As their standard interface, SATA controllers use the AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface), allowing advanced features of SATA such as hotplug and native command queuing (NCQ). If AHCI is not enabled by the motherboard and chipset, SATA controllers typically operate in "IDE emulation" mode which does not allow features of devices to be accessed if the ATA/IDE standard does not support them.
    Windows device drivers that are labeled as SATA are often running in IDE emulation mode unless they explicitly state that they are AHCI mode or in RAID mode. Modern versions of Microsoft Windows, FreeBSD, Linux with kernel version 2.6.19 onward,[5] as well as Solaris and OpenSolaris include support for AHCI, but older OSes such as Windows XP do not. Even in those instances a proprietary driver may have been created for a specific chipset, such as Intels.[6]

Is this my problem?

Thanks
    It could very well be.
    I've got a problem with the iSATA-to-eSATA bridge, why not use the eSATA the way it was intended.
    Why go through the complexity of trying to add an eSATA external drive to an internal SATA port. Why not just use the eSATA
    port you have, unless you don't have one and the bridge is your solution to utilize the drive space. (??)

What exactly is the "iSATA-to-eSATA bridge"
    Please clarify.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you are using a known good SATA and power cable and the BIOS does not detect it, it is most likely broken.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    It could very well be.
    I've got a problem with the iSATA-to-eSATA bridge, why not use the eSATA the way it was intended.
    Why go through the complexity of trying to add an eSATA external drive to an internal SATA port. Why not just use the eSATA
    port you have, unless you don't have one and the bridge is your solution to utilize the drive space. (??)

What exactly is the "iSATA-to-eSATA bridge"
    Please clarify.
    I have eSATA ports on the MB but no externals. The bridge is a simple cable from an iSATA port to an eSATA connector that mounts on the cabinet back. I have a 750G WD external drive in a powered and cooled enclosure that is my archive drive for several machines. Its portability is very convenient. The case has three internal drive bays, with power connectors built into the harness. I just bought an iSATA cable for the third drive I'm installing.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe he means "Sata port" not "isata". The standard ports on the motherboard that you connect HDD and CD drives to are normally called "sata ports". The external sata ports are normally called "Esata ports".

Correct me if I'm wrong but that is how I interpret his statement.
    And I believe with XP he needs to find sata drivers for his ports from his motherboard maker as they don't normally come with XP.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.