Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Weird one this - here's a brief synopsis:

When our W2K3 server was first setup it's AD name was called "XYZ.com" - a few years down the line we registered "XYZ.com" for our website and we couldn't access the website or our webmail. Well duh, our fault for not going with a different name or adding ".local" when first setting it up but whenever DNS went looking for the web is was getting an internal IP thrown back at it.

Fair enough - enter lmhosts, put in "
    Code:
    0.1.2.3 www.XYZ.com
    " and problem solved.

However, due to problems with the hoster and the server we were on we've been moved to a new box.

Despite changing the IP in lmhosts all we get is "
    Code:
    Waiting for www.XYZ.com
    - and yes we've refreshed the cache and we've even rebooted boxes to no avail.

Has anybody any suggestions we can undertake to resolve this please?

Longer term we'll look to having a static IP or rebuild the domain or some other suggestion.

TIA.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What's wrong with a Alias entry in your DNS for www? Any machine on your domain requesting www.xyz.com will be given the IP you specify.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    What's wrong with a Alias entry in your DNS for www? Any machine on your domain requesting www.xyz.com will be given the IP you specify.

cheers, Paul
    There's nothing wrong with that but it still wouldn't work and I can't see why - for all the previously listed reasons. But to answer why an alias is not in use - when this was first done I was out of touch with the system (it's a non-profit I support) and the immediate answer I could talk them through was a lmhosts entry. There are so few machines that it was easy enough for one person to update them all and that has worked until the external IP change.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If your DNS returns an internal address there must be an entry for WWW in the internal DNS. This should be easy to track down and remove/change.
    To prove it will work, create an Alias called ZZZ and give it the IP address of the external web site, then open your browser and browse to zzz.xyz.com.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If your DNS returns an internal address there must be an entry for WWW in the internal DNS. This should be easy to track down and remove/change.
    To prove it will work, create an Alias called ZZZ and give it the IP address of the external web site, then open your browser and browse to zzz.xyz.com.

cheers, Paul
    It doesn't return an internal address. If the lmhosts entry is removed then it is unable to track down any reference - thus leading me to believe that there can't be a www entry. It's only a small setup anyway so easy enough to go through all the records to double check.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyckhoff View Post
    If the lmhosts entry is removed then it is unable to track down any reference - thus leading me to believe that there can't be a www entry.
    If the clients are being pushed the correct DNS server (internal) then why not create an entry to resolve the issue?

If you PING the www.xyz.com from a machine on the network what IP does the host resolve to?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    If the clients are being pushed the correct DNS server (internal) then why not create an entry to resolve the issue?

If you PING the www.xyz.com from a machine on the network what IP does the host resolve to?
    Hi Josh - this is what's confusing me as that always used to work. Albeit the entry was hand crafted within lmhosts rather than on the DNS box as previously outlined why.

As to pinging it - I get no response / resolution from it.

This always used to work until teh server / ip move at the hoster so it could be worth asking them I guess.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyckhoff View Post
    As to pinging it - I get no response / resolution from it.
    I would attempt an NSLookup from the command prompt to check if the domain www.XYZ.com can be resolved by the internal DNS server if it cannot be then add an alias so the client is pushed the external IP you wish.

Are the workstations/laptops on the network set to use only the internal DNS server or do they have an external DNS server set as their secondary?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    I would attempt an NSLookup from the command prompt to check if the domain www.XYZ.com can be resolved by the internal DNS server if it cannot be then add an alias so the client is pushed the external IP you wish.

Are the workstations/laptops on the network set to use only the internal DNS server or do they have an external DNS server set as their secondary?
    That works from the server - can't speak for the desktops as I don't have access to them out of hours:

nslookup www. XYZ .org
    Server: server1. XYZ.org
    Address: 10.0.0.250

Name: www. XYZ. org
    Address: 1.2.3.4 <-- IP changed but it is correct

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just set the servers DNS settings to use OpenDNS.com as a test and it gets straight through. This definitely suggests to me that this is a problem with the internal DNS somewhere but blowed if I can find it.

If I push the update of using OpenDNS to all the clients via the DHCP scope will that cause a problem for them accessing internal services?

I can't think straight on this one anymore.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    All you should need to do is add an alias to your internal DNS. Using OpenDNS will break the network because it doesn't know about your internal machines.

"To prove it will work, create an Alias called ZZZ and give it the IP address of the external web site, then open your browser and browse to zzz.xyz.com"

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All you should need to do is add an alias to your internal DNS. Using OpenDNS will break the network because it doesn't know about your internal machines.

"To prove it will work, create an Alias called ZZZ and give it the IP address of the external web site, then open your browser and browse to zzz.xyz.com"

cheers, Paul
    Paul - an alias as you suggested did nothing. So I tried creating it as an A record (just for thehell and I've got nothing to lose at this stage) and that allowed me through to the default "hello if you're seeing this page, then you are viewing a domain pointed at..." message on the hosters end.

So then I created a zzz and pointed it at the FQDN and not the IP and we get the same message.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sorry, I meant an A record.
    If you create one for WWW, as you did for ZZZ, you should have it working as required.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I meant an A record.
    If you create one for WWW, as you did for ZZZ, you should have it working as required.

cheers, Paul
    Paul - you're right in that "I should have it working" but that's my whole point. It isn't and I can't see why.

Apologies if my initial and subsequent posts haven't been clear but I tried to include most of what I'd done and hopefully allow what wasn't written to be considered as also done. My frustration at this is that, as you say, it should work.

And even though I know it was wrong I've tried all sorts of things such as creating wrong record types and so on.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Can just double-check which files you edited on the workstations? lmhosts is for NetBIOS name lookups, not DNS. For DNS names you need to edit the hosts file (in the same location). Is it possible you originally edited both?

To get to where you want to be now, the best thing would be to remove all trace of the www record from both lmhosts and hosts and put the A record in your internal DNS server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast