New Lounger
    Thanks
    The Digital Age has been defined as many things. The age of computers; the age of information; the age of instant communication, are a few which come to mind. Recently I was in discussion with a co-worker about the most important inventions in history. His argument was that the digital age and the invention of the WWW was probably man's greatest invention. I disagree as it is only improvement of old technology. Dots and dashes have been replaced by 0's and 1's. The Gutenberg Press brought information to the masses, the WWW just makes circulation quicker.

Anyway our discussion got me thinking about coming up with a metaphor and paradox to describe the Digital Age. When I think of a paradox, "Military Intelligence" comes to mind. When I think of metaphors, "Democracy is in its infancy" comes to mind.

The Digital Age has bombarded us with ways to communicate, but also brought us to a state where we do not communicate face to face. We have friends who are really not friends. (Facebook) We accept what is written without really doing research to see if it is true. If it is on the WWW it must be the truth. We IM to a co-worker that is just across the office instead of getting out of our seats and have a face to face conversation.

When I look back at this Digital Age, I see people sitting in rooms tied to their computer thinking about how wonderful the age is, but forgetting about what life is really about. Interaction with people in the real world, not the virtual world.

Anyway just wondering how some of you would use a metaphor and or a paradox to describe the Digital Age. And I do know it is paradoxical to be using a forum such as this. Guess I should go to the bar and discuss the situation face to face.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm hooked!
    Which bar?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wiki"Borg attests that human communication consists of 93 percent body language"
    Use the WWW and achieve 7% effective communication !
    Windows XP SP3

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryB View Post
    Wiki"Borg attests that human communication consists of 93 percent body language"
    Use the WWW and achieve 7% effective communication !
    And that backs up why a lot of digital communication can be misread with regards to the orginal intent!

Hit send in haste, repent at leisure

Thanks
    I have no words for you, but I know the next generation will have no idea how to interpret body language or tone of voice. They will also be foreign to spelling, constructing a sentence, or reading an entire book. I already have problems understanding many of the illiterate postings of young people on forums.

There will also be no more need to beautify our cities with plantings, as no one will actually be looking at anything. They'll be walking forever plugged into their cell phones or IPODs, oblivious to everything else. The list could go on and on...
    2 desktops: Win XP Pro SP3 / 3 GHZ/3 GB RAM/ Firefox, Thunderbird /
    Open Office

Thanks
    Military intelligence, by the way, is an oxymoron. I believe "Facebook friend" is too.
    2 desktops: Win XP Pro SP3 / 3 GHZ/3 GB RAM/ Firefox, Thunderbird /
    Open Office