New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, wondered if anyone has experienced the windows 7 "help and support" not opening. Cursor does a couple of twirls but help does not open. Could this be a registry setting that has broken and is not pointing to the location of the help and support program. Where is this located so i can check. checkdisc does not find problems with any windows files. Thanks for any help as this is a family laptop and help centre does get used from time to time on my other PCs, cant understand why its stopped working on this one.

Thanks
    [s]Check the services section to see that it has not been inadvertently turned off.
    Type in the Run box>>"services.msc".[/s]

Oops, windows 7 is a bit different, try these..

I cannot open Help files that require the Windows Help

Download WinHlp32.exe for Windows 7
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Radcliffe View Post
    Hi, wondered if anyone has experienced the windows 7 "help and support" not opening. Cursor does a couple of twirls but help does not open. Could this be a registry setting that has broken and is not pointing to the location of the help and support program. Where is this located so i can check. checkdisc does not find problems with any windows files. Thanks for any help as this is a family laptop and help centre does get used from time to time on my other PCs, cant understand why its stopped working on this one.
    See if "Help and Support" link from Start Menu does not work helps.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for your suggestions but its not that i need to open .hlp files and afaik windows 7 does not use helpctr. There is a folder at C:\Windows\PCHEALTH but its empty apart from C:\Windows\PCHEALTH\ERRORREP and then C:\Windows\PCHEALTH\ERRORREP\QHEADLES and C:\Windows\PCHEALTH\ERRORREP\QSIGNOFF. Both these folders are empty.
    Any other ideas gratefully received.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Radcliffe View Post
    Thanks guys for your suggestions but its not that i need to open .hlp files and afaik windows 7 does not use helpctr. There is a folder at C:\Windows\PCHEALTH but its empty apart from C:\Windows\PCHEALTH\ERRORREP and then C:\Windows\PCHEALTH\ERRORREP\QHEADLES and C:\Windows\PCHEALTH\ERRORREP\QSIGNOFF. Both these folders are empty.
    Any other ideas gratefully received.
    That the folder is empty only means that you don't at present have any pernicious problems. You don't have anything to be concerned about with an empty PCHEALTH folder.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows