Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm trying to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if I need to upgrade some of my hardware in order to use Windows 7, but all I get is an error message which says that it encountered some problem or something and cannot work, and that I need to install it again, which doesn't help. Is there any other way (a desktop app or an online one) to check my PC for Windows 7 hardware compatibility?

TIA

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rfe777 View Post
    I'm trying to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if I need to upgrade some of my hardware in order to use Windows 7, but all I get is an error message which says that it encountered some problem or something and cannot work, and that I need to install it again, which doesn't help. Is there any other way (a desktop app or an online one) to check my PC for Windows 7 hardware compatibility?

TIA
    What are your present system specs and which OS are you using now?
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Also, see if you can pin down the error more precisely in an error logger such as the Event Viewer.

Another way to get around the "Upgrade Advisor" to see if your system has Windows 7 compatibility would be to do an extensive search of all your hardware and software manually. So reconsider your aversion to reinstalling the upgrade advisor tool, it will likely prove to be far easier.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    System Information for Windows (SIW) will give a very comprehensive list of the S/W and hardware on your system including manufacturer and model number. Much more extensive that Device Manager. Using this hardware list, as Clint has mentioned, you can visit each devices web site to check on Win 7 drivers. For many devices Vista drivers will work if Win 7 is not available. You may loose some features.

You can also get info from SIW on whether your system is 32 Bit or 64 Bit capable. If it is 64 Bit capable, this might be the way to go. You would have to see if all devices have 64 Bit drivers available if you go this route. I would suspect you will find your system is 32 Bit, and if so make sure you get the 32 Bit drivers and install the 32 Bit version of Win 7. All retail versions of Win 7 both Full Install and Upgrade versions have both a 32 Bit and 64 Bit disk, although only one or the other can be used to install Win 7. Since you have a previous version of Windows installed you can use the upgrade version of Win 7 to do either a In Place Upgrade or Custom (Clean) install. I would suggest Custom Install as this gives, in my opinion, a much cleaner system without any carry over problems from your present OS. If you do go this route, install the DVD, reboot, chose boot from DVD, work through the day/date/language stuff, then choose custom install. Once finished you will find a folder called Windows.old in your root drive. This folder contains your entire old OS. You can open it and drag all info you need (Documents, data, pictures, music, contacts, etc) into the new OS so you do not lose this info. All apps would need to be reinstalled. but this gives the opportunity to update to latest versions and rid yourself of apps you no longer use.

Sorry to get slightly off topic, but this seemed an opportune time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning Ted.

>> System Information for Windows (SIW) will give a very comprehensive list of the S/W and hardware on your system

I thank you for this URL. I had been using Everest for years and I was looking for an uptodate app to "learn" what I am using. This SIW is so complete, even shows the keys of the running OS.

As a note, SIW would not run from the start, I had to get into its folder on C:\SIW and two-click on the .exe. Strange !

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Also, see if you can pin down the error more precisely in an error logger such as the Event Viewer.

Another way to get around the "Upgrade Advisor" to see if your system has Windows 7 compatibility would be to do an extensive search of all your hardware and software manually. So reconsider your aversion to reinstalling the upgrade advisor tool, it will likely prove to be far easier.
    OK, I've tried again. Where is the error message supposed to be logged in the event logger (there is a side bar with a few options, each one opens a list in the center)?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    rfe777,
    Are you trying to run this program on a machine with Windows 7 installed?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    rfe777,
    Are you trying to run this program on a machine with Windows 7 installed?
    No, with Windows XP Pro SP3, as I'm preparing my PC for Windows 7.

Thanks
    No, with Windows XP Pro SP3, as I'm preparing my PC for Windows 7.

I suggest you go to Start > Run and type

sfc /scannow

and click OK. You may have some corrupted files in your XP installation.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I suggest you go to Start > Run and type

sfc /scannow

and click OK. You may have some corrupted files in your XP installation.
    I did this, but I am getting an error message to put the Windows XP CD in the CD-ROM in order to copy some files to the DLL files cache or something.

Thanks
    I did this, but I am getting an error message to put the Windows XP CD in the CD-ROM in order to copy some files to the DLL files cache or something.
    That isn't an error message, it is an instructional message. It means that a Windows dll file is corrupted, and the needed dll replacement file in the dll cache is also corrupted, and the System File Checker needs to get a fresh, clean file from the Windows XP XP3 CD. If your installation CD doesn't have SP3 on it, you will need to slipstream the Service Pack into a CD.

This is further indication that the problem you're having with the Upgrade Advisor is XP related, not the Upgrade Advisor.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    That isn't an error message, it is an instructional message. It means that a Windows dll file is corrupted, and the needed dll replacement file in the dll cache is also corrupted, and the System File Checker needs to get a fresh, clean file from the Windows XP XP3 CD. If your installation CD doesn't have SP3 on it, you will need to slipstream the Service Pack into a CD.

This is further indication that the problem you're having with the Upgrade Advisor is XP related, not the Upgrade Advisor.
    This SP3 slipstream looks complicated, Isn't there a more simple way?
    And BTW, it's strange that SP3 is supposedly the thing that causing the problem since I've downloaded it directly from Microsoft through Windows update.

Thanks
    And BTW, it's strange that SP3 is supposedly the thing that causing the problem since I've downloaded it directly from Microsoft through Windows update.
    The fact that sfc /scannow is asking for the installation CD means you have corrupted Windows System files that need to be replaced in your XP SP3 installation. The SFC utility will only accept an XP SP3 installation CD to use to correct the corrupted file situation.

And it isn't strange that XP is the source of the installation problem with the Upgrade Advisor, it is the most logical explanation, since XP system files are used to perform the installation.

Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Because you are looking for a simplier way of doing this I suggest: AutoStreamer

A small software which is able to do the tasks for you.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...r/1092632287/1

It's a pretty straight forward procedure but here is a guide with some screen captures. Just take which steps apply to you and

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

Thanks
    Another suggestion you won't like;
    Clean install your XP os, and only install your most valued programs and updates. Then run the upgrade advisor from a fresh software environment.
    Seems obvious that your current os is in poor shape.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast