Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot failure

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a triple boot system with XP on drive C the primary drive. Vista and W7 are on partitions D and E of a secondary drive. When attempting to boot to XP I got a BSOD. However, I could still select booting to Vista or W7. C was still accessible from W7 so I copied all important files to W7 and had it running OK. Then I made a BIG mistake. I tried to repair the XP disk by reloading XP from the original program CD. It didn't work, as i still got the BSOD, so I assume that the C disk has gone south and can't be fixed. However, now I get no boot select screen as it goes directly to XP and the expected BSOD. So next I tried moving the secondary drive (with W7 & Vista) to the primary HD position, but it won't boot! I tried using the W7 repair DVD, but it wants to load a driver (I assume the HD driver). To get the driver I tried the installation disk that came with the secondary drive, but he driver can't be found. So now I'm really stuck. Any suggestions would be welcome as I think I'm my own worst enemy.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Tucker View Post
    I have a triple boot system with XP on drive C the primary drive. Vista and W7 are on partitions D and E of a secondary drive.
    Chuck,
    Hello
    Me too ! (my own worst enemy) Question : What boot manager are you using ? I also have a multiple boot system (quad) and am using EasyBCD to do the heavy lifting. Also... can you boot to XP form your BIOS screen? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I have solved the immediate problem, but have another. I moved the W7/Vista HD back to secondary and connected the XP drive to primary as originally configured. I then used my W7 repair DVD and it managed to restore the boot manager so I can boot to W7 or Vista. What a relief! I used the built-in Windows boot manager -- whatever it is. My next problem is what to do with the now defunct C drive. I would like to replace it with the secondary drive, but it won't boot up. I suppose I could put a new primary HD in and install W7 on it and manage to copy files from the W7 partition on the secondary drive to the new C drive. It has all been a terrific hassle, but at least I'm back on the air for now.

Thanks
    Hey Fred,

Could Chuck use a 3rd party partitioning app such as Partition Wizard or Easus to delete the XP disk partition then use EasyBCD to repair the MBR, or would it be better to do this in reverse, repair MBR and elliminate XP partition on the MBR, then use the partitioning app to delete the partition. This might actually allow him to save the disk XP is presently on in case his failure is caused by corruption rather than a HD failure.

Since I'm not into partitioning as you are these would be my thoughts, but I would defer to you as the expert in this field. You explained your scheme else where in these forums that was excellent.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I have solved the immediate problem, but have another. I moved the W7/Vista HD back to secondary and connected the XP drive to primary as originally configured. I then used my W7 repair DVD and it managed to restore the boot manager so I can boot to W7 or Vista. What a relief! I used the built-in Windows boot manager -- whatever it is. My next problem is what to do with the now defunct C drive. I would like to replace it with the secondary drive, but it won't boot up. I suppose I could put a new primary HD in and install W7 on it and manage to copy files from the W7 partition on the secondary drive to the new C drive. It has all been a terrific hassle, but at least I'm back on the air for now.
    Chuck,
    Hello. First, I'm not familiar with "7" and do not know about it's "boot manager" perhaps someone can jump in here and answer that. However try to boot from the BIOS screen to your primary drive "C:" On my PC you hit ESC before the PC goes into doing its own boot thing. Select the C: drive and see what happens. You might be able to boot from there . If that doesn't work switch out your "7" and Vista drive to the primary boot position and repeat the process, only this time select your "7" drive. My guess is that the C: drive MBR is damaged, I don't think you could move things off it to another drive if it (C was completely "toasted" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Hey Fred,

Could Chuck use a 3rd party partitioning app such as Partition Wizard or Easus to delete the XP disk partition then use EasyBCD to repair the MBR, or would it be better to do this in reverse, repair MBR and elliminate XP partition on the MBR, then use the partitioning app to delete the partition. This might actually allow him to save the disk XP is presently on in case his failure is caused by corruption rather than a HD failure.

Since I'm not into partitioning as you are these would be my thoughts, but I would defer to you as the expert in this field. You explained your scheme else where in these forums that was excellent.
    Ted ,Hello , Question : Do you know how "7" boot manager works ... It sounds from Chucks explanation that "7" has a "built in manager" don't have "7" yet so i don't know ? As far as using EasyBCD it sounds like he doesn't need it ,as he can already choose the boot scheme.Yes EASEUS could delete / format the XP disk as long as you were not booted into it at the time. With EASEUS (free whatever) disk manager you can make a "boot disk" and manage all your partitions and HD's from there .Yes i agree with you that it's too soon to delete XP just yet, as there are still more options. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again for all the suggestions. I don't know where the built-in Windows boot manager comes from. For example, it appears afteryou install a new Windows OS giving you the option at boot time to boot to a "previous version of windows" (in my case XP) or Windows 7.You have to do a custom installation to do this.
    I'll have to look into what can be done to restore the boot sector on the C drive. My big problem at the present is that for some reason I have to have to old drive in there before the W7 restore disk will restore the multiple boot option. But this only works if I have the faulty C drive connected. The XP restore disk wipes out the multiple boot option.
    At least at present I can still access my C drive files from my W7 partition.

Thanks
    Since I do not at present dabble in partitioning I'm not sure. I did find a couple of sites: First Link , or here, or perhaps this.

These links may help to solve the problem. I think I would attempt to physically move the Win 7 disk to the primary position then use these methods to repair the MBR to allow booting into Win 7. Once done, the damaged XP disk may be able to be set in the 2nd disk position to allow things to be moved off the damaged disk to Win 7 disk. Perhaps after getting useful info from the damaged disk, it could be reformatted and reused. I hope this helps. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in partitioning could help further.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. You can edit the W7 boot file from withing W7 but of course you have to have W7 running first. In my case, I cannot get to W7 without having my faulty C drive set as primary and my W7 drive on secondary. When I move the W7 HD to the primary connection it won't boot and the restore disk won't work because it was created when W7 was on the secondary connection. I think I might be able to install a new C drive on primary, then install W7 on it and copy all essential files from W7 on secondary. Right now that's the only solution I have come up with.

Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. You can edit the W7 boot file from withing W7 but of course you have to have W7 running first. In my case, I cannot get to W7 without having my faulty C drive set as primary and my W7 drive on secondary. When I move the W7 HD to the primary connection it won't boot and the restore disk won't work because it was created when W7 was on the secondary connection. I think I might be able to install a new C drive on primary, then install W7 on it and copy all essential files from W7 on secondary. Right now that's the only solution I have come up with.
    Do you have your original Win 7 installation disk? I would think you could insert this or the Repair disk into your DVD drive, then power on and boot from the DVD. This should allow you to do a repair install because you are booting from the Win 7 DVD, not the installed OS which your system cannot find. You do not have to do this repair install from within Windows, but before Windows boots. The DVD has all the proper boot info to boot into the repair procedure.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    That's a possiblity I'll have to try.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    That's a possiblity I'll have to try.
    Chuck,
    Hello, I am sorry to be a "nag" but have you tried booting the C: drive (primary position) from the " BIOS boot menu screen" ? This would at least tell you if the drive can boot, and not just some messed up boot manager. Regards Fred

Additional info, If you ever get back to that "blue screen", try Ctrl+Alt+Delete you then might be able to enter "safe mode"
    PlainFred

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried booting from BIOS, but it's rather old and nothing worked. Also, couldn't get to Safe mode as the BSOD occurred as soon as I try it.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried booting from BIOS, but it's rather old and nothing worked. Also, couldn't get to Safe mode as the BSOD occurred as soon as I try it.
    Chuck , OK then ,What happens if you move your Vista / "7" drive into your primary position and then "Hit" the BIOS boot menu?...do you then see any drives listed ? Or can you enter "safe mode" Can you enter the BIOS setup ? Fred
    PlainFred

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    BIOS doesn't recognize the drive when moved to primary. Can't enter Safe mode because BIOS doesn't see the drive. Right now I'm back to my original configuration in which I can't boot to the C drive with XP on it, but I can boot to my W7 drive on the secondary connection. I think I'll need to replace the C drive, as this one is a goner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast