Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello! I'm a home user, retired Telecom, who photographs up-and-coming models and other talent. I work in Photoshop a lot and store large quantities of big image files.

Last December I rebuilt a PC I use as a NAS. I made sure the components would be Windows 7 64-bit friendly. (See build below my signature here.) I bought the Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack as I have two other PCs that are in line to be rebuilt. I tried to install Win7 64 bit to a freshly formatted C drive. After progressing for a while the install stalled. I tried it a couple of times with no luck. So reluctantly I installed Win XP Pro 32-bit and suffered through all the upgrades. Then I tried to install 64-bit Win7, but was only able to install the 32-bit version. Since the PC is used as a NAS and I didn't want to fuss with it I let the installation stand.

Now I am about to rebuild a PC (currently running Win XP Pro-32) I use mainstream and want to wind up with a 64-bit version of Win7 Home Premium. I'm looking for tips on what I might have done wrong last time so I can get the results I'm aiming for. Tentatively the new system hardware starts out like this:

New (Re)Build May 2010
    ASUS P7P55 Deluxe
    Intel Core i7 860
    Corsair CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 (4 sticks x 2GB)
    Drive0 (OS) OCZ SSD Vertex 2 50GB
    Drive1 (Data) Western Digital Caviar Black WD2001FASS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb ($249.99)
    or Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s ($249.99)
    or HITACHI 0F10452 2TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s ($339.99)
    Drive2 (Apps, pagefile, misc.) OCZ SSD Vertex Turbo 30GB

Thanks very much, - Dave

NAS PC Rebuilt December 2009
    Antec EA-500 500W Max
    G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
    PNY VCG85512GXXB GeForce 8500 GT 512MB
    Foxconn ELA LGA775, P45
    Intel E6500 LGA775
    HDD D0 Western Digital WD2500JD Caviar 250GB SATA
    Boot drive
    HDD D1 Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0 GB
    Data
    HDD D2 Seagate ST3400832AS Barracuda 400GB 7200 RPM SATA
    Applications and misc.
    DVD Drive Plextor PX-880SA 24X DVD±R DVD SATA
    O/S Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit) Upgr Upgrade 1/3 of Family Pack

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Only thing I can think of at this point is that the 64-bit disc has a glitch in it, some imperfection that kills the install. Nothing in the specs that I can see that would otherwise halt the 64-bit but let 32 in. It will help to find out if the disc really does have a problem if it fails on the new rebuild as well. One note on the new rebuild is that if might not be such a good idea to put the pagefile on the SSD; it will shorten the life of the SSD, but I'm not sure if its a practical shortening or not (in other words, will it wear out before its time to be replaced with a larger one?).

Thanks
    I agree with Byron, it would appear the 64 Bit disk may be bad. I see the CPU on both systems are 64 Bit compatible. There should be no reason the 32 Bit will install but the 64 Bit will not other than a disk problem. Did you acquire the 3 pack from a supplier that would easily be able to replace the bad ? disk? Because the 3 pack is an upgrade version, I wonder if because it appears your systems are bare bones starting without an OS, perhaps the upgrade version will not work. This would explain being able to use the upgrade to go from the renewed XP Pro 32 Bit, although you should have been able to do a clean install from the XP pro 32 Bit to a 64 Bit Win 7. This again leads me to believe the disk may be at fault.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Byron and Ted!

I got the upgrade pack from Newegg last November for $150. (Microsoft soon thereafter discontinued the Family Pack.) It may be too long a time to ask to have software replaced.

Since it's an upgrade it makes sense the upgrade would want to see evidence of the qualifying installation. But on my failed attempt(s) to install the new OS clean it never asked for media or a S/N. The reason I was not surprised by this is something I read that Woody wrote (in the newsletter, I believe) around that time. What I understood Woody to say was that one could do a successful clean install from upgrade media without having to come up with evidence of qualifying media. He did caution to be ethical and not make more installations than the reader was entitled to. I think it may have had something to do specifically with the Family Pack, but I'm not sure

I want to avoid a hassle, so I'll most likely spring for a new installation software package of the OS. It's $99.

I could put the pagefile on my Data HD. Photoshop wants to find a place for its temp files too, and it doesn't want them on the same partition as the OS pagefile, Photoshop's are not as busy or intense so I could put those on the SSD.

Much appreciated,

- Dave

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave McKeen View Post
    I got the upgrade pack from Newegg last November for $150. (Microsoft soon thereafter discontinued the Family Pack.) It may be too long a time to ask to have software replaced.
    I would look into that end before giving up on it.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I would also check with Newegg. What the worst that could happen. If Newegg says no a call to MS would probably be appropriate as well since they originally made the disk and sold it to Newegg. Also, did you verify the disk is bad by attempting an install on the second PC? If a problem occurs there as well, it is pretty conclusive proof.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    When I used the upgrade disk to install over XP Pro 32 bit installation I didn't ever see an option to install Win7 64bit vs. 32 bit. I have not considered that the installation disk is bad. I figure I was overlooking something. No, I didn't try to install on another PC. I'm approaching that point- that's why I started the thread.

Rather than call Newegg and/or Microsoft I will go the easy route and buy a new install of Windows 7. My time and energy saved outweighs the $50 I would save in case either or those parties came through.

Thanks, - Dave

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave McKeen View Post
    When I used the upgrade disk to install over XP Pro 32 bit installation I didn't ever see an option to install Win7 64bit vs. 32 bit. I have not considered that the installation disk is bad. I figure I was overlooking something. No, I didn't try to install on another PC. I'm approaching that point- that's why I started the thread.

Rather than call Newegg and/or Microsoft I will go the easy route and buy a new install of Windows 7. My time and energy saved outweighs the $50 I would save in case either or those parties came through.

Thanks, - Dave
    You actually should have had 2 disks, one is 32 Bit, and one is 64 Bit. That's how all my retail copies came. Since I only bought 2 HP and 1 Ultimate, each had a 32 Bit disk and a 64 Bit disk although in my case you can only install one or the other, not both with the supplied key. The 3 pack should allow you to install3 copies, either 32 Bit or 64 Bit but should have both disks, unless you purchased the system builder OEM version and not the retail versions. The OEM versions come with only one disk, either 32 Bit or 64 Bit, but not both. If you do not have 2 disks I would suspect you purchased the OEM versions and you would have had to specify 32 Bit or 64 Bit at the time of purchase.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    With an upgrade from xp you have to stick to same architecture
    I have seen these stall's occasionally and it's usually driver related. You say it stalled on 64 and there are way's to capture why it stalled.
    If you want to try 1 more time let me know and I'll show you how to capture the setupact.log