Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Dear Loungers, even a dummy grade 2 like me knows 2 firewalls should not run at the same time. It was only luck I found out as indicated by a fellow lounger on another matter, I got no notification or alert from my WIN7 PC that this was happening. How many are running on yours?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I once saw 4 running on a windows xp machine I was working on for a customer, and he couldn't figure out why he couldn't see the machine on his network........

Thanks
    Technically I have two. The router is a hardware firewall, and Windows firewall is the second.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    It probably should read you should not use more than one software firewall at a time. My router also has a hardware firewall in addition to the Win 7 S/W firewall.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I can never remember what is S/W or H/W. I was meaning only W7 Firewall and Outpost Pro. F/W, and completely forgot my Netgear DGN2000 router's F/W

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    I can never remember what is S/W or H/W. I was meaning only W7 Firewall and Outpost Pro. F/W, and completely forgot my Netgear DGN2000 router's F/W
    S/W - software
    H/W - hardware

You probably should not have Win 7 S/W firewall and Outpost Pro S/W firewall enabled at the same time.

Your Netgear firewall is a H/W firewall.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Ted, my original reason for posting was W7 gave no warning I was running 2 FW's at the same time. Not including router FW.

Thanks
    I believe the Windows firewall is enabled by default in Win 7. To disable it go to Control Panel/Windows Firewall. On the left side select Turn Windows Firewall On or Off.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Normally after installing Outpost FW Pro, windows FW gets turned off automattically but I usually check to make sure.

Thanks
    Win 7 firewall is the most advanced Windows firewall so it must have to be manually disabled. I just like Windows firewall and MSE so I use them instead of getting 3rd party apps for these items.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just like Windows firewall and MSE
    I just saw my first virus breakthrough on a fully patched Win7 machine running Microsoft Security Essentials. (It was a drive-by infection called Security Tool) The user did click the "Clean Now" button on the website that presented it so is at least partially to blame. It left MSE running but when a scan was attempted it would bsod about half way through.

Thanks
    When a user clicks on these links from these fraudulent sites, there is not much any AV app can do. It usually takes a fair amount of work to clean up. There are numerous posts for removal of this particularly virulant nasty. Check these posts:

Bleeping Computer

How To Geek

I guess the bottom line is no AV/AM can make up for mistakes made by a user 100% of the time. These rogue drive by fake Security and Antivirus threats rely on uninformed users to assist with their schemes. I have told my mother to just delete any unsolicited emails and never click on anything on a web site. She has been doing pretty well recently, but still occasionally sends me emails to check this offer or that offer for her. I just say "Delete It"!!!

Also if you have a good AV/AM, then you never need to click on a link on a web site that offers to clean a virus from your system because you already have that protection. This is one area where educating the majority would go a long way toward stoping some of these threats.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted:
    Your first reference takes you to a site that has you download and install Spyware Docter. If you do so, you run a scan. It finds a cookie or two; calls them a threat; and if you want to have these "threats" removed, you have to register and buy the product. No joy. The next time you recommend something like this, I think you ought to put a disclaimer that it's for a product you have to pay for. This "cure" is almost as bad as the problem people are trying to get rid of, in my opinion.
    Dick

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    Ted:
    Your first reference takes you to a site that has you download and install Spyware Docter. If you do so, you run a scan. It finds a cookie or two; calls them a threat; and if you want to have these "threats" removed, you have to register and buy the product. No joy. The next time you recommend something like this, I think you ought to put a disclaimer that it's for a product you have to pay for. This "cure" is almost as bad as the problem people are trying to get rid of, in my opinion.
    Dick
    Sorry, I have deleted that one. I did not investigate it close enough. I guess I was still half asleep at 5:34 this morning.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    I just saw my first virus breakthrough on a fully patched Win7 machine running Microsoft Security Essentials. (It was a drive-by infection called Security Tool) The user did click the "Clean Now" button on the website that presented it so is at least partially to blame. It left MSE running but when a scan was attempted it would bsod about half way through.
    In an infection of this type, the user is not partially to blame, the user is entirely to blame. One can participate in all available gun-safety instruction courses, but if one were to deliberately point a pistol at one's foot, release the safety and pull the trigger, such action and the resulting wound is in no way the fault of the gun-safety courses.

I am led to assume from this action resulting in an infection that this user was either running using an administrators group account, or running with UAC disabled.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast