New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been looking at upgrading my PC with a USB3 PCI express card with an external enclosure with a 2TB 7200 SATA drive in it talking to the card.

I was wondering if anyone has done any tests to see if this will be much faster than the USB2 motherboard ports that I am using currently. From what I have read the PCI bus may end up being a bit of bottleneck.

I have tried connecting my existing external enclosure to the computer through an eSATA port and liked the extra speed beyond USB2 but it gave me a number of problems when trying to hotswap it, the USB2 never gives me any problems.

Peter

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Modern hard disks will run at about half the speed of USB3 or eSATA (about 1.5Gb/s). The PCI bus will keep up no problem.
    USB is sort of hot swappable, eSATA is not.
    The choice / expense is yours.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    USB is sort of hot swappable, eSATA is not.
    Two main factors for E-SATA hot swapping, SATA driver & controller has to support the function and the mainboard itself has to support AHCI (most newer mainboards) but it is not usually enabled by default (BIOS). So in essence unless you're really keen ESATA is not hot swappable just as Paul said.

I haven't done any testing but I have seen positive speed increases around the web on technical forums i.e. +30% on write and sometimes more on read speeds.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Currently, eSATA drives are faster than USB2 drives. My guess is that USB3 will make drives as fast asa they are over eSATA as the limitation seems to be the drives rather than the eSATA bus. Even SATA 600 doesn't seem to give any noticable improvement in disk throughput.

However, with the implementation of USB3 and SATA 600, there must be something afoot that will warrant these huge bus speed increases.

In the meantime, you'll see no improvement using a USB3 external drive over an eSATA external drive, so let the cost dictate your choice.