New Lounger
    Thanks
    Need an XP Guru (or two) ... I'm a graphic designer who's running XP Pro SP3. I just purchased an upgrade to Paint Shop Pro, downloaded the .exe file from Corel and started my install about an hour ago. Everything seemed to be chugging along fine until the program reached about the 20% install level. Then a window popped up on the screen with this message:

[attachment=88725:Paint Shop Pro Error Msg.jpg]

Huh? I consider myself fairly computer savvy and have relied on Windows Secrets for help over the years, but that's a new one on me. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what I can do to solve this weird (to me at least) problem?

Thanks in advance for the help....
    All the best,
    Bob Smith
    The Charisma Group
    Attached Images Attached Images

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That sort of error usually means you don't have permission to write to the registry. You need admin rights to write there, but the program is unlikely to have got that far if you didn't have them.
    Maybe your antivirus has stopped the installation program doing some things?
    Maybe you have some registry corruption? Not sure how to suggest you test for that - someone else may have some thoughts.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Also did you try to right click and Run as Administrator? I do not remember if this was available with XP but this post does talk about doing this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Also did you try to right click and Run as Administrator? I do not remember if this was available with XP but this post does talk about doing this.
    It is indeed if you are running as a non-administrator i.e. limited user or the workstation/laptop is on a domain network.

As mentioned above the upgrade file would require administrative privileges to install. We can wait until Robert gets back to us on that before we proceed.

But as a side note, all sorts of weird issues can arise if the downloaded file is corrupted and this error may not be indicative of the true problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all -- especially PT!
    Problem solved!

I get my broadband through Charter Cable and had been using their free security suite (from F-Secure). With Paul's clue about my anti-virus being the "guilty" party, I unplugged my broadband and then totally uninstalled the security suite. The Paint Shop Pro update installed without a hitch or a hiccup.
    Now, based on Fred Langa's high recommendation in the latest Windows Secrets newsletter, I'm going to give Microsoft Security Essential a try instead.

Well, let me dive into my new version of PaintShop Pro and get back to some photo retouching for a client that I need to finish.
    Again, many thanks!
    Bob

Thanks
    I believe you will love MSE, it is an excellent, highly rated AV/AM app.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy