2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again, Colleagues All,
    I use this slightly florid greeting so that you will remember me, noting how much need I have of the excellent advice I get from this forum and feel justifiably proud in giving to me !
    Recently, after a disk reformat, I foolishly found that I had accidentally deleted the DVD playing software (PowerDVD from memory). I tried my MS Media Player but it did not have the appropriate codecs. I Googled around and found a new program called Cliprex DVD Player Professional. I downloaded it (it is free so long as you agree to being bombarded with adverts), but found that it would only play downloaded stuff and could not cope with the commercial DVDs in my DVD turntable. I therefore removed it, using the Add/Remove Programs utility in the Control Panel, but found that the folder and some files were still in the Program Files folder. I tried to remove them and was told I could not. I checked the properties and removed the read-only tick. Removal still did not work so I looked again and the read-only tick was back. I opened RegEdit and searchef for all of the folder and file entries and reset them to No Value. this did not work either. What do I do now ??

Thanks
    I would try a 3rd party uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller. The free version handles 32 Bit apps only. Revo finds and deletes the leftover stuff. In your case it's possible you may have to reinstall the app you want to totally remove so Revo can see it. I'm not sure how Revo would work on an app that has already been uninstalled with just the leftover junk to contend with.

Revo uses the apps own uninstall, or the Windows Uninstaller, then continues further. I always use the advanced cleaning mode, choose all and have never had a problem. Revo has gotten good revues in this forum. CCleaner also has an uninstall feature as well as a cleanup app. I'm not sure if it's uninstall feature works as well as Revo, but it's cleanup feature is outstanding.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I like those recommendations Ted

I would also recommend using VLC (Video Lan Project) as it will play just about anything straight off the bat.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your advice, Josh and Ted.

The answer lay with CCleaner. No way was I going to reload that (expletive deleted) software again (actually it is not too bad in itself, though it comes with a lot of unwelcome and intrusive strings attached), but I ran the Registry cleaner in CCleaner, after which I was able to delete the files normally. I presume one of those files with funny names in brackets had some instruction to protect the program files. Oddly, the situation was not picked up by RegCure. I have had excellent service from Paretologic, so I might advise them of this problem and its solution in case they have overlooked something. Thanks again, guys.

Jim.