New Lounger
    Thanks
    Multiple Language Files

Is there a competition between developers to see who can install the most language files on our computers?

I used to be asked during an installation which language I would like to use. I don't get asked that question anymore.

Every time I install or update a program I find maybe dozens of folders containing hundreds of different language files.

I only need one language installed in order to use an app.

This happened over the last couple of years. Does anyone know why?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Newton View Post
    Multiple Language Files

Every time I install or update a program I find maybe dozens of folders containing hundreds of different language files.

This happened over the last couple of years. Does anyone know why?
    HI Troy,
    Just a "WAG" (guess) It would make sense to the developers of the software ....making there product more universal in ease of use ...downloading , installing etc. I also have looked at these "folders"....i just delete everything that isn't "ENG".... no problem . Regards Fred
    PS. Welcome to Window Secrets Lounge
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred is right that software is expected to be multilingual and if it isn't there is an out cry to make it so if the software is worth a grain of salt.

From a developers point of view they are making it easier upon themselves in the fact that including everything "All-In-One" as such is the best solution as it minimises a myriad of possible issues. Unfortunately this comes at a cost with the primary factor being being distribution size can be infinitely larger depending on the software in question.

Another fact that a power user takes in to consideration is their clean mean system gets bludgeoned with "unnecessary" files/folders/services e.t.c. to make everything fit nicely.

The above is said without going on a little rant about how computing and the IT world in general is now more than ever catering for the lowest common denominator to appeal to the largest possible user base. Please do not misunderstand me, I do like the fact people are endorsing technology but a lot of them go about it in very lazy non committal way. So much more could be gained if they took that bit of extra initiative to learn the basics.

But again there is two sides of the coin, we wouldn't need the massive amount of IT support staff employed around the world then would we?

Sorry if I kind of did creep into a rant

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred & Josh,

I'm not asking about multi-language installers.

Remember how it used to be, being asked which language you want and then just installing that language?

The installers don't ask anymore, they just install every language.

Also, many programs, such as SnagIt or Paint.NET, crash or attempt to re-install themselves if I delete a language file.

Thank you for replying.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred & Josh,

Also, many programs, such as SnagIt or Paint.NET, crash or attempt to re-install themselves if I delete a language file.

Thank you for replying.
    Troy,
    Hello, I'm not sure of which version of "Paint.NET" you have tried this on, i have 3.5.4 on my "Vista-0" machine and the Paint "resources" folder only has en-US 8.4 KB...... can't say what any other version would do. So far it has not crashed or re-installed. I'll try it on my Vista SP-2 machine( when i can find the time) that has 3.5.5 on it and post back Regards Fred

Edit... Tried this on my SP-2 machine and deleted all but "en-US" 9.24KB (Paint.NET 3.5.5) in the resources folder with no effect on the "Paint.NET" Program.. So ... can't say whats going on with your "rig" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Paint.NET 3.5.5 on Windows XP SP3.

These are the "extra" files that I don't need or want on my clean system:
    Deleting these causes the app to crash and reinstall.

Folders:
    \Paint.NET\Native.x64
    \Paint.NET\Resources\de
    \Paint.NET\Resources\es
    \Paint.NET\Resources\fr
    \Paint.NET\Resources\it
    \Paint.NET\Resources\ja
    \Paint.NET\Resources\pt-br
    \Paint.NET\Resources\ru-ru
    \Paint.NET\Resources\zh-cn

Files:
    \Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Strings.3.DE.resources
    \Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Strings.3.ES.resources
    \Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Strings.3.FR.resources
    \Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Strings.3.it.resources
    \Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Strings.3.JA.resources
    \Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Strings.3.KO.resources
    \Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Strings.3.PT-BR.resources
    \Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Strings.3.ru-RU.resources
    \Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Strings.3.ZH-CN.resources
    \Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x64.dll
    \Paint.NET\ShellExtension_x64.dll
    \Paint.NET\Native.x64\PaintDotNet.Native.x64.dll

Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Paint.NET 3.5.5 on Windows XP SP3.

These are the "extra" files that I don't need or want on my clean system:
    Deleting these causes the app to crash and reinstall.
    Folders:
    \Paint.NET\Native.x64
    Files:
    \Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x64.dll
    \Paint.NET\ShellExtension_x64.dll
    \Paint.NET\Native.x64\PaintDotNet.Native.x64.dll
    Troy
    , Looks like you have deleted some things "extra" that have nothing to do with languages (possibly) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just tested this for giggles and it appears the newest version does have integrity protection. Stopping people breaking the software accidentally and offering an easy repair option via the Paint.NET/staging/ PaintDotNet_*.msi

For people like Troy who wish to "customise" things it is probably an annoyance.

[attachment=88744otPaintError.jpg]

If you really want these files gone then you'll most likely have to modify the original MSI installer so they aren't treated as essential files. But even then the main executable may have dependency protections.

Edit: It appears the original installer isn't an MSI but a packaged executable. After a little bit more play time I see you can get it to MSI form without it complaining it needs to be installed via the install wizard.

Read here for more information: (sidenote: Useful for GPO/MSI Deployments in Business domains)

http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/e...tallation.html

Code:
    Paint.NET.3.5.Install.exe [/skipConfig | /auto | /createMsi] [PROPERTY=VALUE ...]
    It creates an MSI version of the x86/64x respectively (Desktop\PaintDotNetMsi\) but upon inspection it still installs both build files into the directory.

After inspecting the MSI further with ORCA (Info) it appears you're not going to be able to remove the multilingual files without some serious editing and even then no guarantee so you'll probably have to live with the extra padding or replace the software.

Well I better get back to doing something productive now although the exploration was fun
    Attached Images Attached Images