Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lately, when I try to insert a picture into a Word 2007 document, I choose the picture folder, etc., as always before. Files of Type is "All Pictures"...gif, bmp, etc. The File Name line is blank. Normally, when I would click on a thumbnail, that file's name pops into the File Name line, and I would click Insert, and the picture would be inserted into the doc. Now, I have to enter the desired File name into that line for Insert to work. It is as if it has become a Search dialog, because if I have several similar names in the folder, they all show up and I choose the one I want.
    Is this a new "feature", or has a gremlin crept in?

David Carter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David Carter

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried double clicking the thumbnail? This is a lot quicker than clicking once and then moving to the insert button.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    Have you tried double clicking the thumbnail? This is a lot quicker than clicking once and then moving to the insert button.
    I have now, and it worked!! But, I wonder what the $#!*& happened to change the behavior. I'll check my wife's pc to see how it behaves. She's off in Portland, Oregon, visiting our daughter who is leaving to attend graduate school in Wellington, NZ .
    Thanks for the tip. I kept trying to do it the old way. Clip art insert works as it always has.
    David Carter

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's not the usual behaviour and it still works as expected in my Word 2007 machine. I don't know what the problem is that has changed your machines behaviour.

I suspect it will not be confined to Word. Have you checked whether Powerpoint and Excel behave any differently on the problem PC?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    It's not the usual behaviour and it still works as expected in my Word 2007 machine. I don't know what the problem is that has changed your machines behaviour.

I suspect it will not be confined to Word. Have you checked whether Powerpoint and Excel behave any differently on the problem PC?
    After some "what was I doing at the time" thought, I might have the answer. I have two printers via USB. One is use infrequently, as it is a business class printer and slow to warm up/initialize, but does rapid-fire output.
    I was using it just to keep the cobwebs out. Then, I did another very small print job, and accidentally hit the Print button, which sent it to the default printer...with the other printer still connected and active. That might be what caused Word to lock up. Even after a reboot, I couldn't insert the "old" way. Next day, life seems to be back to normal.
    I didn't know you could insert a picture by double-clicking. I have done it the other way since Office 2000.
    David Carter

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's another major -- did I say 'major'? -- complaint with pix insertion in Word 2007!

In Word 2003, the 'insertion' dialog allowed the user to call the scanner TWAIN driver to directly place an image into a document. Not now!! In Word 2007 you can only insert an image from an existing file somewhere on your system storage.

This is an insane step in the wrong direction! It is dumb to require multiple app calls outside of Word to acquire and park an ad-hoc, one-time-use image elsewhere on your system in order to use it in a specific Word document.

Does anyone here know if Microsoft restores TWAIN driver access for direct insertion in the upcoming 2010 Office suite?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That feature has not been moved. In Microsoft's haste to provide the soopa doopa, new, all singing, all dancing RIBBON that is suppose to help inexperienced users find all those wonderful commands that they didn't know existed, MS safely hid loads of really useful commands that REAL users used all the time.

See http://www.gmayor.com/scan_into_word_2007.htm to find your answer.