New Lounger
    Thanks
    HI,

I know that I can use do a clean install of Win 7 pro 32-bit using my Win 7 upgrade DVD on my existing Vista Home Premium 32-bit machine by doing a custom install. However, this means migrating my settings and re-installing all my apps.

Is there some way to allow the installer to proceed with an In-place upgrade V. Home Prem. to Win 7 Pro, e.g., perhaps by changing some registry settings?

John LeBlanc

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi John,

I'm not aware of any "hacks" as such to do what you would like to do. Here is a PDF giving you the available upgrade paths from Microsoft.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=161341

Website,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/w...a-to-windows-7

You would have to upgrade to 7 Home Premium or Ultimate from Vista Home Premium. To get to Professional you would have to be running Vista Business edition. Which you could technically get to by doing an "Any time" upgrade to Vista Business then 7 Professional but that's silly

Are you looking for features specific to Windows 7 Professional and above?

Thanks
    John,

If you do a custom install of Win 7 over your Vista partition, a folder will be found in your root directory called windows.old. In this folder is your entire Vista OS. You can open the folder and drag anything and everything you want to the new OS. I grabbed everything in my UserName folder (Pictures, favorites, documents, music, etc). I was also able to grab all my data. You would have to reinstall all your apps, but look at this as a positive, you can weed out those apps you no longer use, and grab the latest versions of all.

Use Easy Transfer to get all your user settings, etc.

To change version (32 Bit to 64 Bit or Home Premium to Pro and vice versa) you have to do a clean (custom) install. Put the DVD in the optical drive, reboot and boot from the DVD, run through the time/date stuff, choose custom install and install directly into the Vista partition.

The other option is 2 set up a second partition and install Win 7 into the new partition and dual boot.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for replying Ted and Josh,

Ted, using the folders from the Windows.old folder sounds like a brilliant approach! Does this effectively replace Microsoft's migration settings assistant or is that migration tool still capturing important stuff (e.g., INI files or registry settings) ?

John

Thanks
    Easy Transfer can do it all, however I found the hard way that Easy Transfer is VERY SLOW. I used Easy Transfer to transfer user accounts and that is about all. The rest of the stuff (data, documents, music, pictures, contacts, favorites, etc) is much quicker dragging this stuff from windows.old to the appropriate location in Win 7. The locations in Win 7 are for the most part similar to Vista so you should be able to find where to put things pretty easily. Just open two windows, one for windows.old the other for Windows Explorer in Win 7, drill down to where things have to come from and go to and just drag the stuff.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBlanc View Post
    using the folders from the Windows.old folder sounds like a brilliant approach! Does this effectively replace Microsoft's migration settings assistant or is that migration tool still capturing important stuff (e.g., INI files or registry settings) ?
    Nice suggestion Ted,

Take the snapshot with Easy Transfer,

After you've installed Windows 7 install all your software as you previously had it installed preferably the same versions too. Then run the Easy Transfer restore. I found it to do a very good job on most common software. Nearly all Microsoft Office settings are kept and I say nearly all as I did notice some small things didn't come across in Outlook 2007 (in my scenario).

It brought in all the common things like Email/Contacts/Calendar etc (all from PST) but it did not bring over the outlook profile's NK2 file which is your "auto-complete" file. Many people take advantage of this and not know it with Outlook i.e. To > John <auto-fill rest of name) of recent email addresses.

By default (Vista/7) you'll find it in
    Code:
    C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook\<outlook profile name>.NK2
    In your case if they haven't updated the Easy Transfer software you'll know where to look to restore it

Thanks
    John,

By the way, welcome to the lounge. I hope you come back often.

I do not know about the Outlook stuff because I do not use Outlook at this time. At some point in time in the near future we will be switching to Outlook at work. At that point, when I get comfortable with it I may use in at home as well, but for now I use Windows Live mail. I can set up my Road Runner accounts and my hotmail account on the same window so all accounts are checked at the same time when I open my mail app. This saves me time checking all of then seperately.

Once you have Win 7 installed How To Geek has hundreds of tips and tricks (tweaks) to get Win 7 to work the way you want it. You can customize to you hearts content. You should also check out Ultimate Windows Tweaker. This is TweakUI (not available for Win 7) on steroids and has gotten rave reviews in these forums.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I can set up my Road Runner accounts and my hotmail account on the same window so all accounts are checked at the same time when I open my mail app. This saves me time checking all of then separately.
    This is possible with Outlook 2007/2010 and to add to that you can setup Email Rules/Alerts via wizards if you so wish to push email from different accounts to different folders. This is how I have it setup at home as I have an Inbox/Sentbox for each account to keep things organised.

But like you said make the move in your own good time

Here's a link to to set up your Hotmail in various Outlook versions:

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktip...in_Outlook.htm

I'll check out that tweak software and see if I like it as I usually stay away from any sort of "tweak" apps as they are for the majority a waste of time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    I'll check out that tweak software and see if I like it as I usually stay away from any sort of "tweak" apps as they are for the majority a waste of time.

I think you will find that Ultimate Windows Tweaker is a very good app with a lot of useful info and tweaks. Just give it a fair try!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    This is possible with Outlook 2007/2010 and to add to that you can setup Email Rules/alerts via wizards if you so wish to push email from different accounts to different folders. This is how I have it setup at home as I have an Inbox/Sentbox for each account to keep things organised.
    More to your earlier post about the .nk2 file. When you upgrade to Outlook 2010 if there is a .nk2 file it gets imported into your primary account mailbox as a hidden message and the original file is renamed .nk2.old.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just installed Ultimate Windows Tweaker (actually no need to install; just run .exe). found it useful to have so many tweaks available in one program.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm glad I found this topic. I, too, had a computer with Vista Home Premium, but bought an upgrade of Windows 7 Professional.

I just tried the Easy Transfer method to transfer the user settings to an external drive before I did a clean install. Upon running the Transfer Wizard on the newly upgraded system, my settings and the old user accounts came back!

Thanks, everyone, for the advice on this.

Thanks
    Glad it worked so well. As far as I'm concerned this is the only way to upgrade to Win 7. Gets a much cleaner OS without any carry over problems from the old OS, and makes your data easy to get into the new OS as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted