New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd like to go from XP to 64-bit Win7 on my computer that has an Asus A8N-E motherboard with nForce 4 Ultra chipset.
    I feel confident that it will run, no questions there.

But will it also support Q-fan and Cool-n-Quiet? These features are normally added as separate drivers, and Asus doesn't even have drivers for (64-bit) Vista available on their support site. There are also a couple of other CPU optimising features normally added after installing XP, that would be cool to continue using.

TIA
    Olle

Thanks
    Have you checked your motherboards BIOS for fan control? I have an Intel board, and fan control can be enabled/disabled in BIOS, so I don't really need an app riding on top of that; the BIOS controls the fans based on readings from the embedded temperature sensors in the motherboard.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found that many of these hardware-level utilities are fairly hit and miss when it comes to Windows 7, whether 32-bit or 64-bit. I imagine that this situation will persist until the developers of those utilities are convinced that enough users are moving to Windows 7 to make updating their utilities worthwhile, which given the adoption rate for Windows 7 should be fairly soon (fingers crossed!). For example, SpeedFan works fine on both my 32-bit (Del) and 64-bit (HP) Windows 7 laptop, but hangs on my 64-bit (custom-built) Windows 7 desktop. CPU-ID, however, works great on all three. And the A-Bit uGuru software works fine on the desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Have you checked your motherboards BIOS for fan control?
    That's the one that requires Q-fan to function.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    ... I imagine that this situation will persist until the developers of those utilities are convinced that enough users are moving to Windows 7 to make updating their utilities worthwhile, ...
    In my case it's more like most users are moving away from the five years old utilities, using newer versions provided with later motherboards instead.

Thanks anyway
    Olle

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Olle Petersson View Post
    That's the one that requires Q-fan to function.
    On my Intel board the fan speed control is a function of the BIOS, not Windows. Fan speeds (there are 3) are controlled by the CPU temperature sensor and two sensors embedded in the motherboard, one near the DMA controller. There is no need for a separate application.

My question was whether or not your motherboard supports fan speed control in the BIOS itself, as in the Intel board. Intel has a utility (for XP; it won't run under Windows 7) that can monitor the fan speeds, but not control them.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    This board appears to be discontinued, so support will be questionable at best. Asus does not list Windows 7 as a compatible os. You may or may not be able to get by with the Vista drivers. It may prove to be a bit of a gamble as this is an old board.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Olle Petersson View Post
    I'd like to go from XP to 64-bit Win7 on my computer that has an Asus A8N-E motherboard with nForce 4 Ultra chipset.
    I feel confident that it will run, no questions there.

But will it also support Q-fan and Cool-n-Quiet? These features are normally added as separate drivers, and Asus doesn't even have drivers for (64-bit) Vista available on their support site. There are also a couple of other CPU optimising features normally added after installing XP, that would be cool to continue using.

TIA
    Olle

No,matter how confident you may feel.Only your hardware will tell you for sure. Here's a link that,Will help you;Windows 7 Advisor Now you can,disregard the minimum requirements suggested.ONLY,if you want your new os to run alittle sluggish.Do you self a,BIG favor & do some research on what might be.The best for your needs,on a windows 7 64bit os.Hardware wise.Good Luck on what ever you decide.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron B. Owens View Post
    Here's a link that,Will help you;Windows 7 Advisor ...
    I did run that advisor around the time Win7 was released. At the time I was mostly interested in what it would say about my peripherals (mainly the printer).
    The Advisor said my system is fine for Win7, but it didn't say anything about the peripherals.

Equipped with an Athlon64 X2 4600+ it doesn't feel sluggish, and combined with an okay graphics card it's even good enough for pretty serious gaming!

Cheers
    Olle